Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

HELP PLEASE

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

HELP PLEASE

Postby singlebirbmom » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:24 pm

We have five kittens we’re putting up for adoption and two Quaker parrots. The parrots are in a separate room and when the birds are out, the kittens are locked up and vice versa. When we’re gone, everyone is locked up. Somehow, our youngest bird managed to unlock her cage and one of our kittens was unaccounted for by my brother when locking up. We don’t know how long she was on the floor, but when we got home, the kitten was chasing her.

The kitten has been dealt with. But I’m worried about the little bird. There’s no blood, but two tail feathers were pulled out. The local vet is closed and the next nearest vet is four hours away so we have to wait until morning, however, the little bird is currently in her happy hit doing her Quaker quaking thing. She *seems* okay, but is there anything we can do to help her tonight ?
singlebirbmom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker parrots
Flight: No

Re: HELP PLEASE

Postby liz » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:41 am

Some how one of my daughter's cats got Tammy out of the cage. I found feathers everywhere. We looked in every nook and crany for her. She was gone. I thought for sure she had been eaten. The next morning when I went to let the chickens out I found her hanging on the coop and probably trying to get in. She was a ruffled mess of feathers and gratefully let me pick her up and cuddle. She was so happy to get back with her mate that I just kept an eye on her. She still has twisted feathers to this day. Molts don't change they way they are twisted. That was many years ago and Tammy is still with me.

Watch and interact with her to know if she needs a vet.

My guard was down with the cats and birds. My cats and birds accepted each other as equals and one of my cats, Fancy, would visit with Sweetie for tweeter time. Sweetie would go to the bottom of the cage at Fancy's level and tweet at her.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: HELP PLEASE

Postby Pajarita » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:13 pm

I am sorry I did not see and reply to you last night but if she/he is acting normal and the only thing you can see is some tail feathers missing, it should be OK. Just keep your eye on the bird and, if you see any sign of disease [if the cat scratched her and it's a carrier of cat scratch disease -bartonella], run to the vet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet