Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Are these skillets and cookie sheets safe to use?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Are these skillets and cookie sheets safe to use?

Postby lzver » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:51 pm

I've been working on replacing all my non-stick cookware and bakeware and I bought a few things today. Just wanted to pass them by the group to make sure they are safe to use around birds before I use them.

- Betty Crocker Copper Base Premium Quality 18/10 Stainless Steel Skillet
- E-Z Baker Steel Cookie pans - I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed they don't have a non-stick coating - they are made from tin plated steel
- Nordic Ware Natural Commercial Bakewarem - Natural Aluminum - I contacted the manufacturer and they confirmed it does not have a PTFE non-stick coating. It does have a different coating referred to as a 'silicone release' coating that is non-toxic

If you guys could provide feedback on these it would be greatly appreciated. If there is still a risk with any of these, I still have the receipts and will take them back.

Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Re: Are these skillets and cookie sheets safe to use?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:15 pm

The silicone based coatings should be OK to use. The skillet sounds as if it is uncoated and should also be OK. One thing I am liking a lot is the Cuisinart Green Gourmet line -- it is a bird safe ceramic coating that works at least as well as the PTFE coatings in terms of release and cleanup.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet