Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How many seeds are ok?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

How many seeds are ok?

Postby Bird Lover123 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:24 pm

We just got this new food for my Green Cheek Conure, it is made of dried fruit, bird pellets, cracker chunks. Then, it is made of about one 5th sunflower seeds! Is this ok for him?
Thanks for helping! :thumbsup:
Bird Lover123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek
Flight: Yes

Re: How many seeds are ok?

Postby Michael » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:52 am

Remove all of the sunflower seeds. Use about half of them as treats you give by hand and throw out the other half.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Pajarita » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:21 pm

Well, I am afraid that the food you bought is really not good for your bird... Dry fruit and pellets are not good for GCCs and sunflowers are real bad for them in large quantities or all year round. They are mainly fruit eaters but that doesn't mean dry fruits, it means fresh ones every day. And pellets are too high in protein and WAY too dry for them. I feed mine a budgie seed mix in the winter and a cockatiel one during the warm weather months all the way up to halfway molting season so they only get sunflowers during the breeding season and then only two a day. Mine get gloop, a leafy green, a raw veggie and a raw fruit [different ones every day and a much larger portion of fruit that one would think it's OK for such a little bird] for breakfast and all day picking, and the seed mix [exactly one level measuring tablespoon] for dinner.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:29 am

Think of sunflower seed as Whiskey and Donuts.

They're not poison, but in anything but very controlled numbers, they will lead to big problems. Use them as treats only.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:17 pm

I overfeed seed. They eat what they want and I put the rest out for wild birds. Sunflower seed are in the leftovers. They eat seed and go back to their fresh dish like we would eat. When I put out a fresh dish I leave the seed there for a while. They eat the fresh food but like to add a seed or two with it.
I do restrict nuts. I give the Amazons 1 pistachio that they can choose which one before breakfast. They are the last ones fed in the morning. When I put out their seed supper I let them choose 1 almond in the shell.
I think they like choosing as much as they like the nuts.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet