Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Winter squashes!!!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Winter squashes!!!

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am

Let's hear it for the squash!!! Many different varieties, all of them nutrient-dense [all that wonderful beta carotene!], low in calories, high water content, low in protein and, to make a long story short: ideal for parrots! And they LOVE them! Now, I know people who feed them raw to the birds but I like to cook them [my birds get raw butternut squash in the gloop] and to vary the kind - so they get pumpkin, Calabaza, acorn, hubbard and spaghetti [which is the one lowest in starch] but, if I find a more uncommon kind, I get it, too.

https://www.verywell.com/winter-squash- ... it-4117503

https://www.thespruce.com/winter-squash ... ns-2217736
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Winter squashes!!!

Postby Bird woman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Squash is a wonderful food for parrots and mine eat a lot of different kinds in the winter. Almost a perfect food that has a long counter shelf life and stores and freezes well , not to mention great price and nutritional bonus. If your birds not eating it they should be. :thumbsup: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Re: Winter squashes!!!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 am

Yep, I agree completely. And, the best thing about them is that even people with a single bird can get a little one.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet