Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey Seizures

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

African Grey Seizures

Postby BournemouthWolf » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Help & Advice Needed Please.
Hi we have had Tico(african grey) since 6 months old, he is now 13 years old.
For 3 months now he has started having seizures & we are at the end of the road on what to do.

We know all about calcium problems, We have Arcadia UV light daily & outside in the summer, he is now on pellet food as the last 12 months went back on seeds due to a new parrot introduced which was on seeded diet for 12 years & have now got them both back on pellets + lots of veg, fruits, cottage cheese, chicken bones everything you name it as always researched to give best possible diet.

We have had 2 blood tests over the last month which show calcium is good, X-ray shows nothing, the vet has spoken to other professionals & diagnosed Epilepsy.
Unless we spend £1000's on further tests MRI etc we are treating Tico for Epilepsy with a medicine called Epiphen Solution 0.05ml twice a day.
After 7 days the seizures don't seem to last so long but Tico is now sleeping all the time very upsetting as we have to touch him to wake up. I can't see any sites this medicine is used on parrots only dogs & cats, sedation can be a side effect in dog/cats but Tico is on the lowest dose.

The seizures only seem to happen at night when put them to bed, through the daytime he's fine & eating, drinking ok.
We would be grateful if anyone else has experienced anything like this & please reply as we don't know what else we can do & now sleeping all the time worried he might be giving up.
Thanks

Adrian & Adilia :gray: :amazon:
BournemouthWolf
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Amazon Orange Wing Tip
Flight: Yes

Re: African Grey Seizures

Postby Pajarita » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:49 am

Welcome to the forum and I am very sorry you and your poor bird is going through this! Now, I am not a vet, I've just accumulated a bit of knowledge from years of caring for multiple birds and I have no personal experience with birds with seizures, only what I have learned doing research but I am more than willing to share this with you if you are interested. If you are, please answer the following questions:
What kind of blood tests have been done on him and what are the results? [I am especially looking for results on bile acids and protein electrophoresis]
Was the calcium test the ionized one or just the result on the regular biochem panel?
Was he tested for metal poisoning?
Have you considered/tried an all organic, fresh food diet, natural spring water?
Do you supplement calcium on top of the pellets and the UV lamp?
Do you use a multivitamin/mineral supplement on top of the pellets?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet