Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is organic molasses safe?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Is organic molasses safe?

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:18 pm

Ah, Newfoundland! I have the best memories and opinion of the people who inhabit that island - well, at least, of Gander where the plane I was on coming back from Europe had to land because of 9/11. The people were FANTASTIC! I have no words to describe how incredibly hospitable and generous they were even though the thousands of people stranded there were a HUGE drain on their resources! The housewives cooked all day and all night long food because the hotel did not have enough food for all of us when we first arrived, school bus drivers -who were on strike!- came to pick us up at the airport -free of charge!, people opened up their homes and churches their doors to strangers that had no place to sleep, the entire staff of the only Walmart in town went to work hours earlier -without pay!- so we could buy -at a big discount!- clothes to change into [the luggage was not accessible to us because they needed to check it for bombs and had no equipment for that, every story in town gave us a discount for anything we wanted to buy, stores donated TV sets which they installed in the hotel lobby, stairs, etc so we could watch the news 24/7... I remember being part of one of the several groups of people who asked for instructions the first morning we were there about how to get to Walmart but we lost our way and were kind of wandering around, talking among ourselves, standing in a corner, asking if any of us knew the right way when a couple -in their robes, this was dawn, mind you!- came out to their porch and pointed us in the right direction - but that was not the only thing they did! They called their neighbors who called their own neighbors and we walked the entire way with people coming out of their houses pointing the entire way! I cry every time I tell this story and I have tears running down my face right now... It was one of the most incredibly touching moments of my entire life! A soul heartening moment! I will never forget the kindness they showed us - never!

The protocol of prescribing a wide spectrum antibiotic for a small parrot is the correct way to go - they are so tiny that drawing blood for tests when they are sick would kill them. But the problem, I think, was that he was getting it only once a day. Little birds have very fast metabolisms and they need medicine more often than that - I personally prefer to use one that I can put in their water so they get meds during the day without the stress of being caught and syringe-force to open their beak.

The video doesn't work, by the way.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby frozengirl » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:09 pm

Yes, in Newfoundland here are some very hospitable, friendly people. :)
When I moved to other places for work I realized that not everyone is like us newfies. Most of the rest of the country say we are the friendliest too :)
Of course, we can be the butt of their jokes too, as some of us have a thick Newfie accent, lol.
People almost always say hi to each other when we walk by , wave to each other even if we don't know them sometimes.

I think so too now that poncho should have had two doses or in his water instead also!
He doesn't trust me as much anymore after that long time of restraining him to give him antibotics , which I think tasted horrible because he hated it!

Hey do you have a recipe for your gloop? I want to substitute buckwheat for another grain since you don't use it.

https://youtu.be/qqHrcOG1U5Y
frozengirl
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie, Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:19 am

The video screen keeps on showing "An error has occurred" message.

There are several recipes of gloop under the diet section but the one I just finished making two days ago has: soft white spring wheat [I use hard red winter during the warm months], hulled barley [not the common pearled one], oat groats [but you could use steel cut -aka Irish oatmeal], kamut, spelt, black lentils [but you can use the regular brown ones], millet [I use quinoa during the warm months], Wehani rice [but I would use any kind of red or black rice] and wild rice [which is not really rice at all]. To this, I add canned small white beans [which I rinse very thoroughly under warm running water], canned mote or any kind of white hominy [which I also rinse very thoroughly under warm running water] and frozen veggies [without thawing them so as to preserve the higher nutrition of the frozen produce]: chopped broccoli [it has to be chopped or the birds pick the larger pieces and throw them out], corn, peas, carrots, cubed butternut squash and chopped artichoke hearts. After this is all mixed up [I let the grains cool completely before I add the frozen veggies], I add some flax seed [in the warm months, I also add sesame seeds] and the sweet potatoes in chunks [I bake them during the cold months and nuke them during the warm ones because I don't turn on my oven during the summer unless it's absolutely necessary]. At the height of the breeding season, I also alternate adding hemp seeds and sprouts but I make the sprouts myself out of a canary soaking mix because if I add the bigger sprouts, they also pick them out and throw them out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet