Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

No 'cook-in' bags!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

No 'cook-in' bags!

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am

Now, I don't know if they produce toxic fumes or not but, personally, if ONE single person says his/her birds died from it, it's good enough for me not to use the product.

https://www.snopes.com/2017/12/21/cook- ... xic-birds/
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: No 'cook-in' bags!

Postby Michael » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:56 am

I don't care if that bag contains teflon or not. Might have something else in it that leads to dangerous fumes for birds that isn't known yet. No special meal is worth a dead pet!

Personally I find it unsavory to be eating a turkey with pet birds in the house but that's just me.

The theory about CO or other cooking fumes is also a valid concern. Pet birds should be nowhere near the kitchen when cooking! Just in case.

Perhaps parrot owners with gas ovens should consider (if not converting to electric) keeping a sensitive digital read out CO detector near their stove.

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Re: No 'cook-in' bags!

Postby Pajarita » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:15 am

I agree. It's not only Teflon that has bad fumes. And I completely agree on the NO BIRDS ANYWHERE NEAR THE KITCHEN WHEN COOKING!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet