Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Weaning 5 1/2 mo old timneh gray

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Weaning 5 1/2 mo old timneh gray

Postby spyro1952 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:47 pm

I brought home my 5 mo old Gracie (timneh African Gray) about 2 weeks ago from the breeder, not completely weaned. It was my choice to bring her home as we both thought she would wean very, very soon. She is still getting hand feed via syringe 2x's per day, 20cc's am and 30 cc's pm. She does eat some nutra balls, sunflower seeds, plays with unshelled peanuts during the day. Will not even consider pellets. I've also tried some small pieces of fruit which she might pick at. BUT she still craves the hand feed, even flies over to my kitchen island wanting it knowing that's where we prepare and feed. Is this still a security issue and any suggestions for a tasty and healthy transitional diet would be appreciated.
TIA
Marcia, Gracie's mom!!
spyro1952
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Female Timneh African Grey
Flight: No

Re: Weaning 5 1/2 mo old timneh gray

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:35 am

Welcome to the forum, Gracie and Tia! If she only gets what you described, the reason why she still craves the handfeeding so strongly is because all you listed are hard, dry things! Try soft foods instead, they are the best weaning food you can offer them. Soft food is just that, easily digestible food that is soft and warm [think of a toddler's diet... you don't go from a bottle to adult food for human babies and the same principle stands for baby animals]. Things like cooked polenta, whole grain couscous, steel cut oats, pastina, etc mixed with veggies/fruits and served fresh and warm twice a day are ideal for this time of their lives. The idea is to give them something that resembles the food that parents would feed them in their beak. Formula is good and they should continue to be handfed as long as they want it but the soft food will tempt her more and more until she is only eating it and no longer asks for the syringe - as it should be. This food should be given along 'grown up' food - I use gloop [which is also a fantastic 'soft food'!] and produce for all my birds' breakfast and a measured portion of good quality seed/nut mix for dinner.

Also, I would be careful with the peanuts... for one thing, they need to be human grade and roasted but, for another, it's not something that you should get the bird used to getting all the time [they are not that nutritious... they are not even nuts so it would be better if you offered tree nuts instead].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby spyro1952 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:49 am

Thanks so much for your response. I am going to try the soft diet you mentioned and slowly decrease the formula. Also try the gloop once she is completely weaned with a seed mixture at night. I will post progress. She is a very smart little girl and very affectionate.
I know she is hungry even though it seems she picks at stuff all day.
Thanks again,
Marcia
Marcia, Gracie's mom!!
spyro1952
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 pm

Marcia, don't decrease the formula on your own. Allow Gracie to make that decision - she will, trust me on this! If has been found in studies that birds that are not weaned properly [what it's called the 'abundant' method] might develop eating disorders and we don't want that to happen to your little girl!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby spyro1952 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:54 am

Got it thanks. I gave her full 2 tbsp of formula this am and have already cooked quinoa and have broccoli and grapes to start introduction later this morning.
I'll keep you posted.
Marcia, Gracie's mom!!
spyro1952
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:14 am

Get the frozen chopped broccoli, thaw it and mix it with the quinoa -and maybe pureed sweet potatoes, butternut squash or carrots from baby jars? Oh, and try sweet corn - ALL birds love sweet corn!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet