Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Quaker Diet

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

New Quaker Diet

Postby TorontoQuaker95 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I have recently put a deposit down on a quaker and i have some questions regarding the daily diet of the bird.

-Is there a minimum amount of fruit and veggies that should be offered/eaten daily?
-How often should fruits and veggies be offered?
TorontoQuaker95
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: New Quaker Diet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:57 am

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new baby! Quakers are excellent eaters and they love produce so you will have no problem whatsoever getting him/her to eat a good, varied diet. They should get produce every single day [they ADORE corn on the cob!].

There are two things that you need to be careful with them: the most important one is the light schedule. These birds come from the temperate zone in South America [I know that most sites say they are tropical birds but they are not, they come from the country where I was born and raised and it's NOT a tropical country] so they NEED, even more so than other species of parrots, a very strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk [failing to do this will make the bird overly hormonal -read: aggression, screams and plucking]. The second is a good diet not high in protein [there aren't that many seeds or nuts that grow naturally in their natural habitat so they mostly eat fresh plant material -although they do destroy entire crops of grains] so they should never be free-fed pellets, seeds, nuts, nutriberries, etc. A good gloop, chop, mash or 'kitchen sink' in the morning accompanied by fresh produce and a measured amount of a good quality seed/nut mix with a couple of doses a week of a multivitamin/mineral supplement does the trick.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet