Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rescued 2 galahs today. What’s wrong with her?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Rescued 2 galahs today. What’s wrong with her?

Postby Rescued_Galahs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:44 am

Hey I rescued 2 female galahs today. The 7 year old is in great condition but the 10 year old looks quite sick! Balding, scraggy/boney and is that a tumour? What would you say is wrong?

I will be taking both of them to the vet Tuesday I’m just looking for suggestions :)
Also healthy bird cut her wing while being caught and put into the transport cage that’s why she is purple. Photos taken in transport cage. They have a 6 meter long aviary.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah7 ... dg5iev.jpg
Rescued_Galahs
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pink & grey galah
Flight: Yes

Re: Rescued 2 galahs today. What’s wrong with her?

Postby Navre » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:01 am

I’ve never seen anything like that. I can’t hlep other than to say she needs to see a vet right away.

Try the best you can to limit her stress right now. I think that’s all you can do.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 am

Uhhhh, that doesn't look good at all. It does look like a tumor or an abcess but it's real hard to tell without being there. Have you palpated it? Does it feel squishy or solid? I've seen a couple of budgies with large fatty tumors like that one but I've never seen a cockatoo... But, in any case, I agree with Navre completely. That bird needs to see a good avian vet asap and get a complete physical with blood work, bile acids and a full body XRay because, if it is treatable, it's going to require surgery...

In the meantime, do avoid stressing them out. Put the cage up high and against a wall with a material draped over the back half of the sides [it will make them feel safer] and provide as much variety in the diet as possible [different fruits, greens, veggies, etc] as well as what they have been eating all along -well, unless it's real crap, of course! And keep them extra warm -and this means at least 85 degrees.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rescued_Galahs » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:39 pm

It is soft. They came with their aviary so they are in there outside but it's summer here. They calmed down dramatically once in their aviary. I've booked an appointment for both of them tomorrow.
Rescued_Galahs
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 am

Well, put some kind of cover out there for them so they have a place where they can hide -parrots that are sick or in pain like to hide, it's the instinctual reaction of a prey animal that knows it's completely vulnerable when 'down'.

The avian vet will most likely aspirate the growth and do a cytology on it, too...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Rescued_Galahs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 am

It’s a fat tumour... vet has put them on a diet to see if it will shrink on its own. They are on sprouts, fresh fruit and veg and also parrot pellets. It’s been one week and it has already shrunk! :D

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah7 ... k01zo.jpeg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah7 ... gp8c0.jpeg
Rescued_Galahs
Parakeet

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:55 am

Well, that's good news. Did the vet do a cholesterol test?

Have you considered Milk Thistle and Dandelion extract to help them? Also some organic aloevera juice in the water. They probably need detoxification in addition to the better diet that they're now getting.

The key is to do everything gently.

My girl had smaller limpomas all over

Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:35 am

Yes, that IS good news! But, as Navre says, if the tests haven't been done already, you should check their cholesterol AND bile acids because, by the time they start developing the fatty tumors, their cholesterol is super high and their liver is malfunctioning [and I bet their uric acid is high, too!]. But I would strongly discourage you from giving them ANY cholesterol medicine, all the birds I've known that have been treated with them ended up dead after a while. You would be much better off doing things naturally through diet [I would not recommend pellets, they are way too dry and high cholesterol and liver issues mean they need A LOT of hydration so the pellets actually work against them on this] and natural supplements. I've had several birds with liver malfunction and high cholesterol and they all got better this way - it takes longer but it works and it's much safer.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Navre » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:11 am

Agreed. Tanya died shortly after I started the Lipitor. And whatever statin we had given her before that never worked anyhow.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet