Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best food for Indian red neck parrot

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Best food for Indian red neck parrot

Postby Julietiff21 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:03 pm

She is around 6 years old and no matter which food we have tried her on
She isn’t happy with, tried parakeet food and she eats bits she likes then
Expects more, tried her with budgie food and seems happier. She does have
Fruit and salad too. Any tips please?
Julietiff21
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck
Flight: No

Re: Best food for Indian red neck parrot

Postby Navre » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:37 am

I assume you mean Ringneck, unless your bird drives a pick-up truck with a gun rack and is a huge Jeff Foxworthy fan! :D

I think your route to better food for your bird will be with fruit. The indian long-tailed birds seem to take to fruit easier than vegetables.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:41 am

Yes, John Navre is correct. IRNs are mainly fruit eaters in the wild so lots of fruits and whatever veggies you are able to get them to eat [fruit eaters like things like cherry or grape tomatoes, corn on the cob, carrots, etc. too]. A nice gloop with a large piece of fruit as part of the raw produce you should offer everyday and a budgie mix for dinner will do just fine [but don't forget to also give it a multivitamin/mineral supplement, too]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Julietiff21 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am

Yes Thanks I did lol. She seems to love carrots a lot and also wondered s
About giving her bean sprouts too?
Julietiff21
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Indian ringneck
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 am

Well, I don't use them. For one thing, I ONLY feed sprouts during breeding season because, in nature, they are only found during the growing season which is ALWAYS the same as their breeding season [evolution making sure that the species will survive by setting the breeding season when there is plenty of food to go around for everybody]. For another, although I do feed my birds sprouts, I use a grass seed soaking/sprouting mix and not beans for two reasons: 1] is that parrots don't eat them in the wild but, in reality, we feed a lot of stuff that's not part of their natural diets so this doesn't necessarily disqualify anything my book - what does is the fact that, unless you sprout them yourself, the ones you get in the supermarket are iffy as there have been many recalls due to bacteria and you never find out until after the fact. But the main reason I don't use them is that my parrots would pick them and throw them out without eating them so I use a more natural and practical option which is the grass seed sprouts. They are tiny grass seeds and so are their sprouts so I mix them in their gloop and everybody eats them. They are also VERY easy to germinate - and that's another plus for me.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet