Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Processed food and cancer

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Processed food and cancer

Postby Pajarita » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 am

This article is for humans but the information not only can be extrapolated to parrots, it's even more relevant to them than to us as they are not only undomesticated but also already getting a diet that is not natural to them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrit ... li=BBnb7Kz
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Processed food and cancer

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:03 pm

my parrots get kale, peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, apple, blueberries, mango, red raspberries and bananas. Almonds and walnuts.

They also not only get shitty fortified natural zupreem with soy and sugar, every evening... But, I keep a completely full bowl in their cage. They only over eat a tad...of it...when they are bored. (Which isnt often) Each bird has two water sources now. Why am i personally making this decision??? Because when i had an emergency hospitalization for a week, by THE TIME someone got to my birds, it made it easy for them to feed them food AND FOOD THEY WERE USED TO, till i was able to get to them again.

Plus so be it. I believe with the ingoing debates, to provide my birds 50 vitamin fortified% fortified. Even though zupreem natural is said to be garbage, and their 3rd ingredient is soy. The list is rather awesome with ground seed, dried vegetables etc. So...

But, i put iodine in their water now to offset the soy. :thumbsup:
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Re: Processed food and cancer

Postby Pajarita » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm

I think you are playing with fire by putting iodine in their water because the body doesn't work as a scale where you put a weight on one side to balance the other that has apples on it... And why feed something you know for a fact is garbage?! I am not trying to criticize you, I am trying to understand your reasoning which doesn't make sense to me. You say it's so somebody else can feed them if you are not available but all you have to do is get them used to a healthy food instead of the crappy pellets. They will eat the good food same as they will eat the bad one - it's all a matter of getting them used to it and, when it comes to gloop, not hard at all because they all like it!

I don't do it often but whenever I go to visit my family back home I go for two whole weeks at a time for the simple reason that the trip alone takes an entire day and is so very tiring that you need another one just to recuperate from it - this added to the fact that I have a large family and they all want to spend time with me and the sheer expense of the airfare makes staying less time completely unpractical. But my birds still eat the same thing every day that they would eat if I was here. Maybe the person feeding them [either my husband or the daughter that lives in USA] is not as careful as I am in making sure they get different 'color' veggies and fruits but they still get gloop and raw produce for breakfast and the same seed/nut mix for dinner they would get if I was here. I always have enough frozen gloop split into baggies that hold a daily portion to last, at the very least, one entire week although a two week supply is available in my freezer more often than not. I buy the produce on a weekly basis because it makes no sense to buy for a long period of time but I also have a list of what needs to be bought organic and what doesn't so, if I am not available for the info, anybody can go and buy the right stuff. My seed and nut bins have stickers on top of them detailing who gets how much with the little scoops and measuring spoons used for this inside the containers so it's just a matter of taking the clean bowls out of the dishwasher [I have double and even triple sets of everything], fill them up as per the instructions and put them out.

Not to make a fine point, Dana, but if I can do it with quite a number of birds all eating different diets, I don't see why you feel you need to feed the three or so you have bad stuff just so you can be prepared for an emergency...

PS I also would not give my birds nothing but kale all the time as their green - way too much sorbitol!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet