Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pale nail

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Pale nail

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:25 pm

One of my parrot's nails is growing pale in color. Could this be a sign of some kind of vitamin deficiency? Or something else? :meyers:
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Pale nail

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:39 am

Hmmm, never heard of a bird's claw that changed color... But I would say that as long as there is no swelling, no crack in the nail [it can happen along the length of it and go all the way down into the nail bed] and no favoring of that foot [indicating no pain], I would not worry overmuch. I would keep an eye on it and if it gets worse, I would take the bird to a vet because, for all I know, it could be a symptom of an infection.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Re: Pale nail

Postby DanaandPod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:07 pm

Thanks. Ill vet him if any of those signs appear. I think its an harmless oddity. I just didnt know if any deficiencies have been known to cause this.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet