Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How much citrus is okay for parrots?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: How much citrus is okay for parrots?

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:09 am

I have no idea why some people say that citrus is not good for parrots... I have looked and looked and looked for some sort of scientific study or paper about it and I can't find a single thing! I have been feeding my parrots citrus fruits for over 20 years and, as far as I can tell, it has not had any harmful effect on them [not that I would know what to look for because, again, I've never found anything on it]. I don't give them citrus every single week because I try to use seasonal fruits mostly and, within this, whatever is cheaper at the time [I have a lot of birds and it adds up] but, when citrus is inexpensive, they get some sort of it, [mostly oranges but also ruby grapefruit, tangerines and tangelos] once a week [they get a different type of fruit, veggie and green every day]. All birds like them, from the canaries to the cockatoos but most especially the grays [they LOVE juicy fruit].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet