Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gut bacteria

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Gut bacteria

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:48 am

This is an article about the publication of a number of recipes that would allow scientists to grow and study the type of bacteria that we, humans, have [or should have] in our intestines. The reason why I am putting it here is to underline how very important this bacteria is to our parrots, too and to remind parrot keepers that feeding pellets, human food and dehydrated fruit will end up killing their bird by depressing its immune system and messing up with their genes [and this one was a shocker to me as I never imagined that good bacteria would actually have anything to do with this!]. Fresh food is ESSENTIAL to their health and longevity!

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/nut ... -242789930
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Gut bacteria

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:08 am

And here is a bird study done on gut bacteria that links a good one to survival of the hatchlings and which could be the reason why infant mortality in pet birds is so very high and why a fresh food diet is SOOOOO very important!

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 112710.htm
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet