Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

African Grey Diet Portion

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

African Grey Diet Portion

Postby RafikisMom » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:09 pm

How much should I be feeding Rafiki? He is an African Grey and the person I got him from just left food out all day. From what I understand that is not good for them health wise and hinders training. However I cannot find anything on portion sizes or amounts for African Greys. Help!
RafikisMom
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Re: African Grey Diet Portion

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:10 am

No, actually, it's unhealthy for them not to have constant access to food and water. It's the kind of food you feed that makes the difference so, although it is true that protein food [pellets, seeds, nuts, nutriberries, avicakes] should never be free-fed - food like gloop, chop or mash and the raw produce should be. As to portions, it doesn't matter how big the piece of produce is or how much gloop/mash/chop you give to them because none of these things are fattening or high in protein and fat but, when it comes to a seed/nut mix [I don't use pellets, I believe they are not the best dietary option for them], I give mine two level tablespoons of the mix and make sure there are three pieces of nut in it [like a quarter walnut, half a macadamia and one pistachio, for example].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: African Grey Diet Portion

Postby GreenWing » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:35 pm

My CAG, Chance (although, I'm her pet, not the other way around) always has fresh water (I use purified) and always has food available to eat. Sometimes she eats at random times, like a snack, just like we humans do. But she likes to eat her meals when I do, as its a bonding behavior for parrots, too.
African greys do great with food they can forage and shred... Chance likes carrots and snap peas, especially. Lettuce and leafy greens are great. She does not like radishes and won't eat them. She loves apples and pears.

Make sure you give your African Grey fresh vegetables and fruits. Nuts should be reserved as a treat. I personally like to give my CAG oats, they have a good quantity of vitamin B and other minerals.

:gray:

Training... Chance responds to the clicker, not food, I think because the sound just grabs her attention, not sure, though.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet