Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pellets or Fresh Foods?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Given no other choice you would feed all:

Pellets
36%
Fresh Foods
64%

Total votes : 14

Re: Pellets or Fresh Foods?

Postby notscaredtodance » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:28 pm

Now that's there's a decent vote, I'd like to explain why I chose fresh fruits. With my rats, instead of buying a hamster food to feed them like so many people do, I actually buy human grade cereals and pastas (About 40 dollars worth of total cereal, cheerios, shredded wheat, rotini pasta, and a lot of other stuff) and I mix it up in two large bulk bins that are air tight andI keep next to the cage to refill their bowls.

I'd probably end up doing the same thing with my bird food. I understand cost and number of birds can make feeding a REALLY high quality diet impossible, but I'd probably bulk up on fruits and veggies, work on sprouts, and anything else, and freeze the pieces in icecube trays, let one thaw in the fridge over night and then feed it, and the same day take one out to thaw, so that I always have a new cube ready, and it's great portion control.

This is actually the circus diet, which I am adopting: http://theparrotuniversity.com/circusdiet.php

I'm with Natasha- variety is the most important thing to me, while having a good staple (pellets) to cover all my bases.

People don't believe I spend so much time on my pets but it's almost like a hobby of mine. I just love taking care of animals. I enjoy mixing rat food! lol
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Erithacus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:32 pm

My Grey is not fond of eating pellets. So I have to feed fresh food to her. I have to spend time cooking food and preparing other fresh food for her. Very time consuming but luckily I have plenty of time.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.
Flight: Yes

Postby foxxfire1970 » Sun May 02, 2010 10:52 pm

If I could only give one or the other I would have to say fresh foods. I give my CAG fresh foods and pellets on a daily basis. She goes for the fresh foods first. So, I think that she would be happy if she only had fresh foods. However, I would have to provide it more often than I do now if I didn't use the pellets.
foxxfire1970
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Goffin's Cockatoo, 1 Jenday Conure, 1 Green-Cheeked Conure, 1 Congo African Grey, 3 Pacific Parrotlets
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet