Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal urine

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Senegal urine

Postby sbooth13 » Sat May 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi, this is Senegal Mom. I have a 51/2month old Senegal. Sometimes he passes too much urine, and his urine sometime is yellow when it dries. He also passes some urine that is colored with a slight greenish tinge His droppings are bright green, I have seen some pea green diarrhea once. He also has passes some brown ones. During the day he eats fruit, and Pretty Bird pellets. At 4 p.m. I feed him almonds, walnuts, Top Crop and parrot Fiesta mix. I don't know what to make of this, I read that it could be a sign of liver disease. I was wondering if maybe the clear urine could just be colored green from the feces. The bird does not seem to be ill. Has anyone here seen this in Senegal parrots?
sbooth13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: No

Re: Senegal urine

Postby lzver » Sat May 01, 2010 5:39 pm

I can't really say what it is a sign of, but if you're at all uncertain, I'd get him checked out by a certified avian vet as soon as possible. Bring a sample with you so they can test it. Don't mean to scare you, but I wouldn't take a chance with my two.

I know my Red-Bellies and Senegal's droppings change color depending on what they eat. My husband and step-kids think its gross, but I examine their droppings every time I change their paper. Its instictual for birds to hide their illness, because in the wild, vulnerable ill birds could become prey to another animal. Unfortunately, by the time a bird is showing signs of illness, it means they are really sick and probably need emergency care.

Good luck and I really hope nothing is wrong. Let us know how it goes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Sat May 01, 2010 9:52 pm

First off, I don't think the liquidy part of the parrot's droppings is actually their urine. I'm pretty sure the actual urine equivalent is solid but wrapped in water. Concern over droppings should be more about major deviation from norm rather than something a little different or consistency. My parrot has ranged in everything from diahrea to pretty hard so I'm not too concerned with variation as long as it is not a major and longer term deviation. Like if two times they poop bad isn't necessarily illness but if two days in a row, could be.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Sun May 02, 2010 12:52 pm

"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby miajag » Sun May 02, 2010 1:14 pm

pchela wrote:http://www.avianweb.com/poopology.html

This might help.

"Healthy bird droppings:
2. Usually have a down feather attached to it.

What??
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Postby pchela » Sun May 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Hmmmm... I have no idea what that means. Maybe I'll try to find a better site. BRB
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby pchela » Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm

This looks better and it gives illustrations. http://www.freedomflightsparrotrescue.ca/Poopology.html

How did I miss the down feather thing? That's so weird.
pchela
African Grey

Red Belly - Nicholas

Postby Mona » Sun May 02, 2010 9:31 pm

are the pellets colored? Sometimes a bird favors one color of pellet and their droppings take on that color.
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey