Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birds mourning

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Birds mourning

Postby DanaandPod » Wed May 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I have a female parakeet that is dying. Its heartbreaking. More so, watching her companion watch her getting worse each day.
My question is about their mourning. What to expect of it. How long before another possible companion is introduced?
Ofelia, the one dying, is a yellow parakeet. She had a robust personality and wore the pants in the relationship. Hollis, her blue parakeet companion, was very much in love, and very much loyal but easily bossed by her. It breaks my heart.
Answers please. Thanks~
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Birds mourning

Postby liz » Thu May 17, 2018 5:16 am

Each one is different. I had two Love Birds and one was sick and could not feed herself. The other fed her. When the sick one passed the other was lost for about 3 days. He had mourned her while she lived and only had to deal with the empty cage. He seemed to recover fast because he did not have the burden of caring for his friend.

If death is sudden then leave the dead one with the living for at least a half hour. I recently heard a cockatiel make an unusual noise. The only thing I can relate it to is a cockatiel crying. Because they were able to see for themselves that she was dead their pain did not last long. The crying cockatiel was a flock buddy and not her mate. Her mate has been coming to tweeter to me as if to say he feels alone.

I made the mistake of not letting Rainbow see his "Gran'ma" after she died. She knew "Gran'ma" was sick and stayed with her all day each day. She was very upset not to find her and searched and called for weeks without stop. I mourned for my parrot more than for my mom. It has been 4 years and every once in a while Rainbow will call out "Gran'ma" just to see if she will come out of hiding.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am

Please take her to the vet to be put down today - why draw out her agony? Once she is gone, if you know for a fact that what is killing her is not contagious [what did the vet say when you brought her to him?], you can introduce a new mate to the male right away [budgies are not really 100 pct monogamous].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri May 18, 2018 4:56 am

Don't let your budgie be alone. It will draw out the mourning process since he does not have a friend. No bird should be alone.

In my flock of Tiels I have loners. They do not choose to have mates but are part of a big flock so they have many friends.

When the Love Bird Tweetle Dumb died, Tweetle Dee wanted to join the Cockatiels.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet