Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Gloop for beakless birds

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Gloop for beakless birds

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 28, 2018 9:39 am

When a bird loses its beak [usually, just the top part], it makes it impossible for it to eat anything hard because it simply cannot crunch it into tiny little pieces or powder [as when they eat nuts] without a whole beak [which is what happened to my parrolet, Paquita] so I needed to come up with a 'special' gloop for her that was soft enough for her to just 'scoop up' with her bottom beak but which also had enough nutrition on its own as she cannot eat fruits and veggies on her own.

Equal quantities of Scottish oatmeal, bulgur wheat, coarse corn meal and whole millet and quinoa [I looked for the smallest grains I could find] were cooked to the point of softness. You can do the oatmeal, bulgur and corn together because they are the same texture and all of them require that you constantly stir it so as not to burn at the bottom or develop lumps. The quinoa and millet, I soaked overnight and then boiled until they were soft. I mixed both concotions together and added dry and uncooked whole wheat couscous [again, I looked for the smallest size] and flax seed meal as well as baby food jars of sweet potatoes, mangoes, squash, blueberries, pomegranate and beets and raw broccoli which I put in the food processor.

She is eating it without a problem and now I am also giving it to the budgies -which don't eat any fruits whatsoever on their own- and they love it!.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet