Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Is this normal?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Is this normal?

Postby blackscell » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 am

She is still plucking. Tried every possible option.

I cannot put her cage in the living room due to toxic fumes. She is on a solar schedule atm.

She is still flying, talking etc.

Sometimes she plucks while preening, could it be fleas or whatever from when she was outside?
blackscell
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 am

No, it's not fleas or mites or anything but stress and/or anxiety. Grays are very difficult birds to keep happy, they need a very quiet household, no changes whatsoever in their daily routine or 'territory', lots of hours with their chosen human, the right diet [and this is not pellets] and a super strict solar schedule - and I know you say you are doing it but, although I am not doubting your word, I have found that most people with a normal lifestyle can't really do it the right way but, even if you are, if she had been kept at a human schedule before, it will take a few seasons for her endocrine system to go back on track. You also need to take into consideration that birds that are stressed out [and this goes back to their being bred in captivity and, basically, how knowledgeable and caring the breeder is] when they are babies remain high strung their entire lives so, sometimes, even when you do everything right, it still doesn't work. AND, let's not forget her age! She is at an age when she would be looking for a mate so if she doesn't have a very deep bond with a human who is there for her all the time, she would be stressed out and anxious.

Personally and although I don't like to see my birds plucked [I have three that do it and a fourth that is plucked by one of the pluckers], I ignore the whole thing and hardly even notice any longer. It's one of those things that are undesirable but essentially harmless if it doesn't become self-mutilation.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby blackscell » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:02 pm

The reason I put her in another room was that it would help her more with her solar schedule. Cause the living room is not working for her schedule.

I am taking her to the vet tomorrow, she is starting to pluck blood feathers, dropping blood by this. Is this extreme? She was on my shoulder when doing this, I have no clue why.

Probably because it was irritating her.
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:44 am

Oh, SHOOT! That's not good... not good at all! It's the beginning of self-mutilation so, please, make sure that EVERTYHING is as it should be: strict solar schedule with, at least, two hours of dawn and dusk without any artificial light whatsoever, exact daily routines, fresh food [meaning WET] diet, peace and quiet [no TV, no music, no loud talk, no children running around, etc] and her chosen human company all day long. You need to stop this before it gets real bad. But, please, before you agree to give her anti-anxiety medication [which is, pretty much, the only thing avian vets do in cases like this], do research because, as far as I can tell, they don't work with parrots -at least, the parrots I know which have gotten it did not get better on it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Postby blackscell » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:01 am

Sorry for the late response. Everything turned out OK at the vet. We have since then moved her cage back to the original spot. Changed her diet, trying to give her some sunlight and gets at least 8 hours daily interaction.

She is not plucking as far as I can see, but still sometimes nips out a bloodfeather. Happens about once a week. I think it's irritating her?

Her feathers are in very poor condition atm, I am bathing her regularly. Any more things I can do for her?
blackscell
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:08 am

No, not really. Good plumage comes from good food, a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk and no stress so, if you are already doing all of these, there is little else you can do except wait. But don't despair if you don't see improvement soon because plumage takes a long time to mend when it's in bad shape. It took my GCC three molts to get rid of the stress bars she had when she came in...

Also, if she doesn't like to bathe [never had a gray that did and I had six], don't force it on her because the most important thing you can do for plucking is reduce stress as much as possible.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet