Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mouse poison and parrots

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Mouse poison and parrots

Postby DanaandPod » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 pm

They are coming into my apartment dwelling in a few days, to put down mice poison! (I didn't exactly tell the landlord, that WHY YES, ACTUALLY, MY PARROTS DO REACH EVERY CREVICE OF THIS PLACE. They wouldnt exactly want to know that. ) Anyway, i have a mouse infestation. Hopefully, they will find and seal off their entry ways. But, Im concerned about the poison. Hopefully, it will actually be kept in THE CREVICES, and I'll be able to seal off the areas. Mainly, my parrots have their trick routine...and certain favorite areas. But, Pod has taken to a recent obsession. Under my dresser. Ive UNFORTUNATELY allowed. ANYWAY, IM MOST SURE THAT MOUSE POISON IS OBVIOUSLY TOXIC TO BIRDS. BUT!? Why IS IT THAT BIRDS ON ONE HAND, can be so completely afraid to warm up to new food while on the flip, CHEW OR PUT ALMOST ANYTHING INTO THEIR MOUTHS? Is there an actual answer for this? And, any other advice except for LOOK. GUARD OFF. ETC. (((Thanks!)))
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Mouse poison and parrots

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:39 am

Is there any way you can refuse the fumigation? Personally, the ONLY poison allowed in my house is the flea drops that I use on the dogs and cats and I make sure that I don't touch their backs for the three days needed before they get bathed. I don't even use fertilizer in my garden.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am

He could probably refuse poisoning but then all the mice will come to his house.

I use the sticky bug traps that can be folded into a box. Rainbow came running to me the other day with one stuck to her tail.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

I only use 'humane' traps, the glue ones are way too cruel for me - I can't stand the thought of a poor animal with its feet glued to the floor, desperate to get away and slowly dying of thirst because it can't.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 pm

Pajarita wrote:I only use 'humane' traps, the glue ones are way too cruel for me - I can't stand the thought of a poor animal with its feet glued to the floor, desperate to get away and slowly dying of thirst because it can't.

The mice squeak in the glue traps and I drown them right away. The victor tin-cats occasionally catch a mouse, but unless I happen to hear it scratching, it dies of dehydration in there. They catch mice so infrequently that I stop checking them.

The humane ones have the advantage of not being able to hurt a bird, but they are SO humane, they don't even catch the mice!
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby liz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:32 am

My traps only catch bugs. I had one on the deck where I saw a bunch of bugs. I went out the next morning and found a gecko stuck to it. I used vegetable oil to unstick him and set him free. No more of those on my deck. Anoles are everywhere. I must have a dozen living on my deck. I have to make sure that I don't hurt them while killing bugs.

I know that even bugs have emotions but I cannot let them live if I want to live here. They are all over my yard too.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:34 am

Navre wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I only use 'humane' traps, the glue ones are way too cruel for me - I can't stand the thought of a poor animal with its feet glued to the floor, desperate to get away and slowly dying of thirst because it can't.

The mice squeak in the glue traps and I drown them right away. The victor tin-cats occasionally catch a mouse, but unless I happen to hear it scratching, it dies of dehydration in there. They catch mice so infrequently that I stop checking them.

The humane ones have the advantage of not being able to hurt a bird, but they are SO humane, they don't even catch the mice!

I hardly have any mice in the house now -I do have some in the porch but I have been ignoring them because I feel bad for them. But, when I did, the humane traps did catch them. The instructions say that you don't need to bait them but I do and they work real well!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet