Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bad vitamins?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Bad vitamins?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:54 am

This is an article about people's vitamin supplements and the gist of it is that too much of a good thing is a bad thing. The reason I put it here is that, when it comes to parrots, nobody has any idea of what is too little, what is perfectly fine and what is too much when it comes to vitamins and minerals so, in reality, when we give them a supplement every day or feed them pellets, we have no idea if what we are doing is actually beneficial or is slowly causing harm. I don't feed pellets for many reasons but one of them is that they have the final form of vitamin A instead of the precursor and vit D3 which, according to old canary breeders, should never be given every day or you are risking the bird losing the ability to move calcium in and out of their bones [aside from the fact that too much of either will cause fatty liver], and another one is that the vitamins in them are all man made and we know that these are not utilized efficiently by the body. My solution? Give them a large range of produce and a supplement only two days of the week.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrit ... amins-aren’t-going-to-work/ss-AAzuE3q
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet