Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why is avocado toxic?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Why is avocado toxic?

Postby Kathleen » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:19 pm

I was wondering why avocado is toxic to birds and did a little reading on the subject.

Avocados are toxic to birds and other animals because of a fungicidal toxin called Persin, similar to a fatty acid and present in the bark, twigs, leaves, skin and pit.

Apparently some birds have survived after eating avocado, but definitely not worth the risk!

The side effects in birds include increased heart rate, myocardial tissue damage, labored breathing, disordered plumage, unrest, weakness, and apathy. High doses cause acute respiratory syndrome (asphyxia), with death approximately 12 to 24 hours after consumption.

Don't feed avocado to any of your pets!!

Sources:
http://www.goodstuffbirdfood.com/?p=80
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persin
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Why is avocado toxic?

Postby MandyG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:34 am

Good information! I really enjoy posts like this :D.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Kathleen » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Thanks. For humans, avocado is generally okay. In most bird stores I've been to, people are warned about avocado, but I always wondered what was so bad about it. It's avocado's defense mechanism against fungi. It's great for avocado plants, bad for fungi and some other animals who eat it. :?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Harleys_Dad » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:54 pm

Wow! I never knew the real reason. And for humans avocad is high in fat and cholesterol? but it's good fat and cholesterol?
Harleys_Dad
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Harlequin Macaw

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet