Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tomatoes

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Tomatoes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:34 am

Wonderful fruit and the birds really enjoy them!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrit ... ar-BBLp3ZG
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Tomatoes

Postby GreenWing » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:42 pm

Yeah, lol... I've since changed my stance on tomatoes and feed them to Chance. She prefers them cooked. She likes Italian food as we're an Italian family. :mrgreen:

Tomatoes "might" cause health issues for the very rare instance, I mean it's possible, but overall they are safe and I've had NO problems.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 am

Well, as far as I know [and I could be wrong on this so, if you heard something different, please let me know] the claim was that they were too acidic but it makes no sense because most plant material is and that's what they eat in the wild.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:51 am

The only thing red that Rainbow will eat is a red jelly bean. His previous human gave him junk food. He may get a red Jelly Belly once a year from me. I have even given them grape tomatoes to get them to try it. But no luck.

Myrtle will eat things while on my shoulder that she will not eat on her food tray. She does not eat anything red though.

Even my cockatiels will not eat red.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:45 am

Neither cockatiels nor budgies like to eat red things - I once read that this might be because there is no indigenous red fruit in their territories but I don't know if that is true or even the case. But my other birds, including the zons, eat stuff of all colors: red, yellow, orange, blue, purple, etc. And my zons ADORE the darkish fuchsia stalks of the red Swiss Chard -it's pretty much the first thing they go for when they get it, especially Naida! Try cutting the grape tomatoes in half and showing them the inside, that's how I get the new birds to try them for the first time [I do the same thing with blueberries, grapes, etc.]
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet