Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

look what i got at a parrot shop event

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

look what i got at a parrot shop event

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: Yes

Re: look what i got at a parrot shop event

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:37 am

Sprouts are great during breeding season! Mine get them from mid-spring all the way to when they are halfway through molting - only I don't use a fancy sprouter but an old pickle jar :lol: [actually two because it takes one day of soaking and three days of sprouting so I always have one 'cooking']. I don't give my birds any clay or spirulina. I don't believe that clay has any benefits to captive-kept birds so feeding them dirt makes no sense to me. And I don't like to give them anything that has too much of anything and/or it's completely unnatural to their diet like any type of algae. This aside from the fact that all algae products have too much iron, sodium, potassium, magnesium and iodine [more is not better when it comes to birds - quite the contrary, less is better]. My birds eat a very varied, organic, healthy diet and, although I do give them vitamins, it's a very small amount, only twice a week and mainly D3 but, of course, birds that don't eat produce and are on seeds [not pellets which already contain a bit too much of everything, too] need more than just twice a week.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:53 am

Yea I don't know what those things are 4. They came with the kit. I dont really know why there so many pieces lol. I dont plan to use it till after my trip to canada.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:29 am

Didn't it bring instructions? Because I would not know how to use that, either... Sprouting is actually the easiest thing and does not require anything but a glass jar [because seeds sprout better when exposed to light and the transparent glass allows all the seeds that are on the 'outside' of the bunch to get enough light to germinate]. I put about two fingers of ABBA Soaking and Sprouting mix and cover it with water that is the same temperature as my skin. I dump the whole thing into a colander and rinse under running water, I rinse the jar and put the seeds back with fresh water covering them after 12 hours and, 12 hours after that [I do these things at 7 am and 7 pm because those are the times when I am in the kitchen preparing food for the dogs and cats], I, again, dump everything into a colander, run water over it and put it back into the rinsed jar after draining the seeds in the colander [because the seeds cannot be submerged in water or they would not germinate but they need to be moist all the time]. After this, I do the dump/rinse/back in the jar every 12 hours until the seeds grow the tops which is about three days -they will grow the root first and then the top part where the leaves go, you want to use the seeds that have already been turned into a baby seedling and are beginning to show a bit of green because that's when they are at the peak of nutrition. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Zorro_the_bhc_2015 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

It did I just not read it till I'm rdy to use it lol.
Zorro_the_bhc_2015
Lovebird

Postby liz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:40 am

I have used regular potting soil to give my cockatiels still growing Romain. That is the only way they will eat Romain. The problem with this is they love to scratch in the dirt like chickens would.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 am

Don't use regular, use organic and without the little plastic ball thingies they usually mix into the soil.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet