Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Plz...Advice or Help.

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Plz...Advice or Help.

Postby Kyou » Mon May 10, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that one of my Quaker Parrots claws is very purple/red compared to his others, as if it has been hurt? Maybe bruised or something. I recently cut back his wings, and figure it maybe that he landed on it strangely and really did bruise it or just hurt it a bit. It also seems very soft, or almost swollen. It does not appear to be bothering him at all, but would still like to know if it could possibly be something more serious. He will let me touch it and everything, but it worries me because its on his toe/claw he has always appeared to have slight problems with. Like it has a double joint or something? Or I’ve even thought that the toe/claw is dead or something like that…but i doubt that is the case as there is obviously blood traveling though it…

Anyways I’m very worried, and am unable to take him to the vet at all. I recently moved to a small town that has no vet near it at all. I’ve thought about calling one, just to see what they have to say. But they always say the same thing, you have to bring him in and they never seem to give you an answer. So any advice or reassurance would be great. Or if anyone knows that this could really be something more serious, please let me know. He is very healthy & i want my baby to stay that way. He is only a little over a year old, so i would hate for anything to happen to him.

~Denise.
Kyou
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Plz...Advice or Help.

Postby pchela » Tue May 11, 2010 12:42 am

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't know what is going on with your Quaker but I have used a website in the past that helped me. It's a site where you pay to talk to a vet or bird expert. I think you can pay from $9 to $15 or somewhere around there which is worth it to talk to a vet. If it is something they think is serious they will tell you to go to a vet because they can't really help online but if it's something that you can take care of at home they will be able to guide you and give you advice, especially if you can send a photo of the injury. It might be worth a try. Here is the website. http://www.justanswer.com/

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Good luck with your baby!
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue May 11, 2010 1:44 pm

How far is it to the nearest vet? With a circumstance like this, it may be worth a few hours in the car. If it is badly injured it could become infected or gangrenous and the bird could become too weak to withstand a trip later.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby miajag » Tue May 11, 2010 2:45 pm

I don't think anyone is going to give you any advice besides "take him to a vet." Honestly though, (and sorry for sounding hostile) if you're unable to provide your pets with veterinary care when they need it you should probably reconsider having pets in the first place.
miajag
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot, Budgerigar

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet