Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

itchy senegal...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: itchy senegal...

Postby stevesjk » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:39 am

No hes not plucking because its around his face as well,hes got constant company.

Is it definitely not pbfd?
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:07 am

Well, I cannot tell you that it's 'definitely' not PBFD but I don't think it is because he has not been in contact with another bird since he was a baby and that means that he would have had to have caught it at the breeder's - and, if that was the case, he would have shown symptoms when a baby and, most likely, be already dead. The incubation period can be of a few years before they show symptoms but, according to what I know, this only happens when an adult, strong and healthy bird is exposed to a small amount of the virus. When babies get it, they all die.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:16 am

Thanks for the info.

The fly in the ointment now is my budgie has a line under his eye which if i didnt know better looks like a sort of track that mites make so they are both booked in for september the 4th,

How on earth can these birds have mites if they dont leave the house lol
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:38 am

There are only two kinds of mites that leave physical 'clues': feather mites which leave holes in the feathers [they eat them because they are made of protein] but nothing on the skin - and scaly face mites that leave flaky crusty 'bumps' around the face or feet skin [because they burrow into it].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Thanks pajarita, this is most helpful. The plot thickens. Scaly face mites are usually caught in the nest if im not mistaken.

If mites can just develop because for example ive been missing a spot on the cage while cleaning i could understand but everything ive read say they have to be caught from a source like interaction with wild birds
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:00 am

Correct. Birds can get red mites -which do not live on the bird- from a branch from a tree that is infected [because that's where they live, in the wood or in the nests] but all other mites need to come from another bird. Having said that and although I think it might be a bit improbable [depending on the circumstances], they can also catch them from being outside in the open air except for scaly face mites [which are microscopic but which I do not think it's what your bird has] because they need direct contact from one bird to another [and that's why I don't think that your bird has them].
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:18 am

Ok thanks, guess I'll just have to wait for the vet to take a look, the findings will be interesting.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby stevesjk » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:16 am

Seems a bit of a mystery even to the new vet, he doesnt think its mites or molting. He told me to leave him alone for now, suggested using rainforest mist to see if that helps and to keep his metacam going. If problem persists he'll have to knock him out to collect blood samples.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:35 am

Knock him out to get a blood sample? Why? It's very easy when the bird is toweled and held by somebody who knows how [the vet tech?]. I've never, ever had a bird put under to get blood. Not once and not even the mean ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:43 pm

I have no clue pajarita, maybe its more than bloods, possibly a biopsy too. Both vets independent of each other both said they'd put him under to get samples. Is that dangerous for him?
stevesjk
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet