Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

itchy senegal...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: itchy senegal...

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:55 am

Yes, of course it is. Anesthesia is always a risk, even for people - and doctors have been using it on people for a looooooong time whereas, for parrots, it's fairly new. There are two places that vets use to draw blood from a bird, from under the wing and the side of the neck. In both places, the vein is visible to the naked eye and easily accessible once you wet the feathers and all that is required is for the bird to be toweled properly and somebody with experience to hold it's head [from the back] so it cannot move it to bite [I always do it myself]. As to a biopsy... well, personally, I would do a skin scraping first and do a cytology on it [cheaper and, most likely, more than good enough to figure out what is going on there once the results are combined with the blood work],
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:53 am

Ok, i have taken your advice on board.... I dont feel experienced enough to argue with an avian vet though if Thats the route he decides to go. He said he would rather leave him alone for now.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 am

Yes, that's what I would do, too... leave him alone, I mean.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: Toos, grays, zons, canaries, finches, cardinals, senegals, jardine, redbelly, sun conure, button quail, GCC, PFC, lovebirds

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet