Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

itchy senegal...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: itchy senegal...

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:55 am

Yes, of course it is. Anesthesia is always a risk, even for people - and doctors have been using it on people for a looooooong time whereas, for parrots, it's fairly new. There are two places that vets use to draw blood from a bird, from under the wing and the side of the neck. In both places, the vein is visible to the naked eye and easily accessible once you wet the feathers and all that is required is for the bird to be toweled properly and somebody with experience to hold it's head [from the back] so it cannot move it to bite [I always do it myself]. As to a biopsy... well, personally, I would do a skin scraping first and do a cytology on it [cheaper and, most likely, more than good enough to figure out what is going on there once the results are combined with the blood work],
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby stevesjk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:53 am

Ok, i have taken your advice on board.... I dont feel experienced enough to argue with an avian vet though if Thats the route he decides to go. He said he would rather leave him alone for now.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:19 am

Yes, that's what I would do, too... leave him alone, I mean.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 am

Sorry to revive an old thread, its my thread. Still no solution to this, in fact its pretty bad now. Just stood scratching himself silly all day. Bald chin, neck,.lost his eyebrows, baldness going up into his head, had a night fright last night and knocked his tail out. I, personally thought he was fitting during the night fright but now im not so sure. Got an appointment on tuesday. For the first time im starting to think this might end bad. Kidney damage, liver damage, pbfd or cancer. I'll keep you posted.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:22 am

But I thought that you had already done all the tests on him when you took him the first time - Including a skin scraping. Was I wrong? Also, have you put a humidifier in the room where his cage is?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:24 am

No they didnt do any tests at all, they said its a big procedure so they wanted to see if it settled on its own.

He's going in tuesday for bloods i think.

A humidifier in january? I thought they were for when the weather is hot?
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:12 pm

No, quite the contrary, they are most needed when the weather is cold because all types of heating dry up the air. Actually, during the summer, I don't even have them (I have one in each bird room *) on, I just leave the windows open and the natural humidity in the air is good enough for them - especially this last year that was the wettest on record!

If you would not mind, could you post the results of the tests here so I can look at them? I am not a vet but I've had soooooo many CBCs and chempanels done that, if by nothing else than mere repetition throughout the years, I have learned a little bit about how to read them.

* I don't have a humidifier in either the living room or the dining room where I also have birds BUT what I do is bathe the species I can (not the ones that react to frequent baths by producing sexual hormones - senegals are not one of them) more often AND I place a soaking wet paper in each bottom trays so, as the air dries it up, humidity will rise into the cage. This, sometimes, produces an unholy mess in the tray (especially in the quaker's because she loves to pull the paper through the grid to chew on it) but I just rinse it in the kitchen sink and put another piece of wet paper there (the trick is never to allow the paper to dry completely because, if you do, it will stick to the tray as if glued -you can still get it out by soaking and scraping it but it's more work and I always try to eliminate all the 'extra' work).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Thanks pajarita,. Yes of course, i will post all the findings here. Last visit the vet commented on actually what good condition his skin was in which leads me to think is the itching coming from under the skin or possibly the blood. I know that spells danger.
stevesjk
Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am

Hmmm, well, I am not a vet so I don't really know BUT what I can tell you is that I've had many birds with kidney, liver, heart and neurological conditions as well as bacterial and, in one case, fungal infections and none of them presented itch as a symptom so I would tend to believe that, unless it's something like PBFD and your bird happens to have a VERY uncommon reaction to it (I've never heard or read about itch being a symptom), it has to be something easier to fix.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby stevesjk » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:22 am

I hope so, tuesday cant come quick enough now he's frantically itchy today.
stevesjk
Conure

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet