Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Food for mental health

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Food for mental health

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 am

What we [and the parrots] eat goes beyond what we think it does because it even affects our mental health. Learn about it here:

https://www.zmescience.com/science/food ... -242789930
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Food for mental health

Postby liz » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:50 am

I used to have low blood sugar really bad. That is when the body produces more insulan than it needs. I had to go to a neutrition doctor. His solution was to eat a walnut two hours after a meal. I guess I need to add walnuts back into the parrot diet. Right now I am giving either a pistachio or cashew for Rainbow and Myrtles first food of the day. I guess I need to give them walnuts in the morning nut rotation. I let them pick their own nut from the jar in the morning so I can feed the others then get back to them.
I let them pick their own almond with their seed in the evening meal. I buy almonds in the shell from www.fostersmith.com

Charles must be ahead of me. He did my shopping from my list but also brought me walnuts.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:53 am

I always give them walnuts because some of my birds prefer them over any other nut [like Linus, for example which will ALWAYS go for the walnut first] but I do vary the selection - I give them three different kinds in their dinner all the time but which kind and in which combination varies as they get almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios, brazil nuts, macadamias, filberts and, every now and then, human-grade, roasted peanuts in the shell -which they all adore!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm

This is great.

Also, consider the implications of sugar on health as well as mental health. Sugar contributes to obesity as well, not fats, and it is in pretty much everything, so it's important to watch the labels of food items.

That's great, Liz about walnuts, I give them to Chance and we enjoy them around here ;)
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet