Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegals Food help..

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Senegals Food help..

Postby jhuff » Sun May 16, 2010 7:44 am

I have a Senegal. A couple of years ago, his vet put him on "Zupreem" "Fruit Blend" pellets. He LOVED them. A few months ago Zupreem changed their package from a red package to a white package. They claim to have not changed their formula. However, Binx started pulling his bowl off the side of the cage and dumping the food out. So i decided to try to "kaytee" brand, its some type of fruit blend pellets as well. He is doing the same with them..... Any suggestions?? I have no idea what to do except change the food again, maybe hes tired of the fruit flavor? HELP!
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Senegals Food help..

Postby alight15 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:05 am

do you have the old package?,maybe you can move some into the red package without him knowing then give it to him? see if it works? but its only a temporary solution if it works :(
Pet Birds & Safe Woods
Keet Korner
Other Links:
http://ezinearticles.com/?cat=Pets:Birds
http://www.birdcagestand.net
http://www.birdguys.com/pet-bird-articles.html
http://www.ehow.com/videos-on_1422_caring-parakeets.html
alight15
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgerigars
Flight: Yes

Postby lzver » Sun May 16, 2010 11:35 am

My Senegal CANNOT stand colored fruity flavored pellets and throws them around as well. I find that parrots get bored eating the same things every day and I've transitioned them a few times to different pellets. My Senegal goes through spirts where he's a little trouble maker and no matter what I put in his bowl he throws it out and if you can believe it or not starts laughing.

I was researching several different brands (Harrison's, Roubybush, etc) and quite a few people have highly recommended the Pretty Bird Gold. It apparently has palm oil in it and is very good for their feathers.

I feed my birds a variety of fresh vegetables, fruits, grains, sprouted beans, vegetable pasta, etc. I vary how I prepare it and just started giving them veggie and fruit kabob's and that is a real hit with them. They're eating healthy food, but to them its like a toy. Try offering variety and you may have to experiment with other pellet foods that he'll eat. I transition mine slowly and start mixing 25% new vs. 75% old and slowly switch the ratio over a 2 week period of time.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby kimbo » Sun May 16, 2010 7:35 pm

just an idea but try soaking the fruit pellets for a few minutes, my sennie loves them soaked but does shake them a bit so dont stand too close. it worked for mine. :senegal:
kimbo
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: one baby senegal

Postby pfinarffle » Mon May 17, 2010 6:59 am

I concur with the above. How old is your Sennie? Ours has gone into mating mode. Since I'm his "mate," he'll get upset and throw any food around if I just leave the food there rather than my spending morning time with him.
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby jhuff » Tue May 18, 2010 7:26 pm

Thank you all for your replies! Binx is 5 years old. He actually takes his food and sticks it in his water holder (it hangs on the side of the cage) so he can make the pellets soft. We had to switch to that type of water holder because he kept losing his pellets in the other one and when we would get home from work, there would be a TON of pellets and very little water because the pellets sucked up all of the water LOL!

Back to this current speed bump we are having with him. I think it may be that he has decided he likes the food we are giving him (fruit, nuts, ect) more than he likes his pellets.

In order to combat that, we have STOPPED giving him people items until we get his pellet situation worked out. We also purchased a food holder that bolts to the side of the cage, now he has to either pick the food out of the bowl to throw it down or leave it in there. He cant remove the bowl now.

He is currently eating his food as he should, i have been watching him very closely to make sure he is eating. I think he currently has no other choice but to because we are not giving him anything extra.

I do think I am going to buy a different flavor of food so that we can switch it up sometimes. I mean, No one likes to always eat the same things...

What do you all think? Is he just spoiled? :-)
Binx's Mom.
jhuff
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet