Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Sunflowers

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Sunflowers

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:36 am

Please keep in mind that this is meant for humans and not birds so, although high protein and fat are not bad for us, they are bad for birds -although this doesn't mean that sunflowers are so bad for birds that they should never get any. They can as long as the species is being fed the right amount of protein and fat.

https://www.zmescience.com/medicine/epi ... -242789930
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Sunflowers

Postby GreenWing » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Sunflowers are so tasty, I haven't cooked with the oil much, though. 'Wouldn't mind reading up on sunflower oil.

I try to limit Chance's sunflower seeds, as they're so tasty to her that she'll pick out the sunflower seeds and neglect everything else, so... yeah. Sunflower seeds and nuts are reserved as a treat, for the most part.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:25 am

My gray gets 3 sunflower seeds and 3 nuts for dinner mixed with lower protein/fat seeds. The mix is a cockatiel one that has some [not a lot] grey striped sunflowers in it and the nuts vary from batch to batch but it's always three different kinds and, depending on the kind, whether it's a whole one [as in the case of an almond or a pistachio] or a piece [as in the case of an English walnut, pecan, etc]. Grays need a bit more protein than other species... all African birds appear to need a bit more than South American ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:21 am

I give my Amazons a pistachio nut every morning first thing. I let them pick there own from the jar. The are the last to get breakfast an this will hold them off from being hungry until I get to them. I give them veggies and grain for breakfast.
I serve seed for supper but let them pick their own in shell on almond from the jar.

If I run out of seed they get an almond, pistachio and walnut with more fruit for supper.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:13 am

Why don't you try giving them some kind of produce to tide them over instead of protein? Mine get their greens first and, depending on what kind it is [because they like the 'crunchy stalks' kind only] they might start with it or wait for their fruit/veggie of the day. It's always best to use their 'hungriest in the morning' to get them to eat healthy food because, let's face it, it's not as if they need to be hungry to eat a nut - they would eat it even if they are full.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby GreenWing » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:01 pm

Liz - Chance loooooooves pistachio! That is a good idea, to give a nut once a day. Pajarita, I didn't know that about Greys, that they need more protein. Thanks for this head's up. :thumbsup:
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby liz » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:22 am

I give a pistachio to start the day and an almond in the shell to end the day. I let them pick their own out of the jar.

The morning pistachio is like an appetizer before the meal. I don't get back to them for feeding until the others are fed. It has worked out for us.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet