Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

PLEASE HELP - MY NANDAY CONURE IS INJURED

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

PLEASE HELP - MY NANDAY CONURE IS INJURED

Postby Nanday » Sun May 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Hello, I recently(Tuesday night) purchased a 2 year old(according to the previous owner) Nanday Conure from someone. I noticed that on his right foot, his front left finger was injured. I contacted the person I got her from and she told me it could just be a sprain and to just let her rest and it will be ok. Its now been 4 days and I dont see any signs of improvement. The finger is completely motionless. I havent seen her move it yet. And she limps when she walks on that foot, as if it hurts when she puts pressure on it. When ever she is sitting she always lifts the right leg, much different then most birds who lift both legs randomly when they rest. I just need some experts to tell me if it is infact broken or is it just sprained. Can it heal on its own or is there anything I can do to help the healing process. I wouldve taken her to the vet but I was promised a perfectly healthy bird and I spent all of the extra money I had on my budget on the Nanday, a new cage, food and supplies and I wont be able to take her to the vet until after March 2nd. Is there anything I can do? I added some pictures from Wednesday. Thanks for your help.

It would also be nice to hear from someone whos had a similar problem in the past. Thanks again.
Attachments
footforforum2.JPG
footforforum2.JPG (72.84 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
foot1forforum.JPG
the finger stays like that all the time. Completely nonfunctional, atleast that how it seems to me.
foot1forforum.JPG (49 KiB) Viewed 8058 times
Nanday
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Flight: No

Re: PLEASE HELP - MY NANDAY CONURE IS INJURED

Postby lzver » Sun May 16, 2010 5:29 pm

I would suggest that you get your Conure to an Avian vet as soon as possible. If anything can be done, they would know best. Good luck and let us know how your little Conure is doing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers
Flight: Yes

Postby notscaredtodance » Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm

This is a forum of fellow parrot owners, not experts. Even if someone on here was a vet, it's very hard to tell an injury like that from a picture, rather than seeing it in person and feeling the foot.

Always have money for a vet. Toys can wait. Emergencies can't.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby Nanday » Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm

notscaredtodance wrote:This is a forum of fellow parrot owners, not experts. Even if someone on here was a vet, it's very hard to tell an injury like that from a picture, rather than seeing it in person and feeling the foot.

Always have money for a vet. Toys can wait. Emergencies can't.

Thanks for the insight
Nanday
Parakeet

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sun May 16, 2010 8:54 pm

Many vets will work out a payment plan and almost all will take credit cards. It could be broken... I think you know you need a vet visit, if it were me, I wouldn't delay.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby TheNzJessie » Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 am

i suggest a avian vet visit immediately or if you dont have one around you i suggest doing some research to find a well known (knowledgeable bird breeder) at the least i wouldn't really recommend a normal vet because i work with vets and the ones i work with are right daft dimbos when it comes to birds (I had to show them how to clip a birds toe nails) not sure about vets in different countries but i would feel more secure getting advise from someone who has a good background with birds
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Postby kellybird » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:57 pm

poor little guy! my personal opinion from the picture looks like he got bit by another bird but i am NOT a vet and your best bet if you havent done so would be to take him to get looked at if you havent done so already. It's been a while now since this post, how is he doing? i can't belive someone would sell him like that. I hope he is okay now. Kelly
kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby a.susz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 pm

get him to a vet for sure. if you wait too long blood loss will cause the toe to be lost. even if a toe can be saved but it is unusable, they can still use it for balance. saw this happen in a quaker parakeet.
-Annaleza- and--
Peanut , the sennie
Baby, the red belly
Odin, the bronze wing pi
Loki, the bronze wing pi our new addition :)
http://www.annaleza.blogspot.com
a.susz
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Red Belly, Bronze Wing Pionus x2

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet