Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Feed them pumpkin!

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Feed them pumpkin!

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:46 am

I've been doing this for years but maybe some of you did not think of it so here it goes! This is for people but I feed it to the birds [easy peasy, just cut it up in pieces and nuke it until soft].

https://www.zmescience.com/science/pump ... -242789930

https://www.nutrition-and-you.com/pumpkin.html
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Feed them pumpkin!

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:42 pm

We just gave some of the bigger bird whole pumpkins. We had a bunch of the smaller ones we grew in the garden. The cockatoos just tore them up. If I were a pumpkin farmer in the southeastern part of the globe, I’d find a different line of work.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:23 am

:lol: Yes, toos would do that alright! I am going to try and find a largish one to give to Linus and see what happens.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Pumpkin is the best - not only can you enjoy the fleshy part of pumpkin and it's packed with vitamins, but the seeds, when roasted, and sooo tasty!
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Shilden_72 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:06 am

+1 on pumpkin seeds, birds love them; and it isn't just birds, the wife and I don't mind them, either! Of course, it's best to roast them first, but our parrot, dove and pigeon always make a beeline for them as soon as they see that we've taken them out of the oven. Hell, they even learned that they'll be allowed to eat them only after they've been cooked, and don't ask us for them when we're putting them IN the oven.
Shilden_72
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Quaker Parrot, 1 ring-necked dove, 1 street pigeon

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet