Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Conure frantically flying...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Conure frantically flying...

Postby maremoroi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm a new bird owner. I've had my little guy since May 2018.

I usually open his cage door and let him climb around while I'm in the room, today I was cooking (he's on the other side of the living room) he started frantically flying toward the kitchen, hitting the ceiling multiple times and he actually created a bald spot on his head due to hitting the ceiling. His wings are clipped (he's obviously now flying farther distances and to greater heights so maybe it's time to be clipped again). He flew to the top of my cabinets and almost looked scared when I climbed up to get him.

But is this a somewhat normal behavior for birds? Is he just being his average buttface-self, or should I take him the the vet?? He does occasionally fly to me when he's out and I'm in the room, but not like this.
maremoroi
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Re: Conure frantically flying...

Postby Pajarita » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:54 am

Welcome to the forum and don't worry, what he is doing is perfectly normal for a bird that was handicapped and is now able to use his main mode of transportation - think of a small kid that has had his legs tied and is now free... he is not going to be calmly walking from one room to another, he is going to be running around the house like a maniac! :lol:

As to his hitting his head, etc., well, that's because he has not had the practice he neeeded to master the art of flying. The thing with birds and flight is that although flight is necessary for good health (respiratory system partly atrophies when birds don't fly - not my opinion, a scientific fact) and for self-confidence and emotional wellbeing (flight being the ONLY predator-avoidance mechanism that birds have with the lack of it causing chronic stress and anxiety), it's one of those things that starts as a mere reflex with the hatchling flapping his wings but needs practice in order to develop the muscles, stretch the tendons and simply learn the techniques. I have birds that are fully flighted now but because they were kept clipped for a long time, they are very clumsy fliers. They all get better but the longer they have been clipped, the clumsier and weaker they are and some of them never quite get to really master flight.

I would strongly urge you to reconsider clipping him again. It's really quite unhealthy for them (both physically and emotionally) and it doesn't prevent their getting hurt or lost, quite the contrary, it's pretty much a death sentence for a clipped bird to get lost - and they do get lost and much more often than people realize. Much safer to have a bird that is good at flying and which you can teach to come to you on command (and you are already half-way there if he always flies to you!) PLUS, you have a Jenday and they usually become loud and constant screamers when unhappy and the little ones are always unhappy when clipped.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet