Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

what kind of pellets and seed mixture do you feed

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

what kind of pellets and seed mixture do you feed

Postby RudysMom » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:04 pm

I'am running out of ideas here Pepper my Senegal was eating RoudyBush pellets not alot but some now he won't touch them grrrrrrr I have tried TOPs, Zupreme fruity and he won't touch them either , I buy a pellet mixture which he likes but he mostly pics out the good stuff minus the pellets in it so what other pellets can I try? and what kind of seed mixture does everyone feed , the vet told me seed mixtures are a waste of money the do nothing for the bird but I'am not sure I agree with that so he has beeen getting around 3 nutriberries a week for his seed mixture, need some help here :senegal:
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Opey ...green quaker Rudy...TAG Cody....CAG
Squiggy.....GCC and Blueberry blue female quaker
Flight: Yes

Re: what kind of pellets and seed mixture do you feed

Postby Michael » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:17 pm

Have you tried feeding just pellets?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pchela » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:36 pm

I know Michael endorses an all pellet diet but I do not. They really need a well rounded diet of fresh veggies and fruit, sprouts if possible, grains and seeds and nuts and pellets. Have you tried Harrisons pellets? They are way more expensive than the others but some people have luck with them.

Do you leave food in the bowl all of the time?

You could try what I do. Leave only pellets available at all times. Give two meals a day, one with fresh foods etc and one with a little bit of seed and nut mix and the rest of the time they only have pellets available. That might help.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby RudysMom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:48 am

no I haven't tried jush pellets he always has something else in his bowl besides pellets , but I like the idea of maybe a little mixture of the pellet mixture I have and a little bit of seed in one bowl then strictly pellets in another bowl ty will give that a try starting tomorrow :) since I don't have any seed mixture maybe a very small amount of a nutriberry until I order some :senegal:
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Postby RudysMom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:51 am

o and he does get fuits and veggies every day :) tonights menu was cooked beans , brown rice , sweet potatoe and squash and for dessert :) they all got blackberries and strawberries :senegal:
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Postby lzver » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:47 am

I've actually started to transition Lucy and Jessie to Pretty Bird Gold. After much research between Harrison's and Roudybush I have actually decided on Pretty Bird Gold. There are quite a few members of the local parrot club that feed this to their birds and highly recommend it. It is competitively priced and there is a store not too far from me that sells it in bulk - they go through 3 - 4 large bags a week, so its always fresh. They are getting about half of their old pellet (Tropimix) and half Pretty Bird now. Lucy loves them ... Jessie will always be my picker and dig for the good stuff in his bowl.

I have cut back from 2 fresh meals a day to 1. My husband used to leave the house 2 hours after I did in the morning and he'd take away the veggies and give pellets for the day. Now he leaves shortly after me so there isn't anyone there to take the fresh food out.

At dinner time they get a mix of sprouted beans, mixed fresh (sometimes frozen) veggies and fruit once a day. The odd day if I'm really busy, they'll just have pellet food. Then they get nuts and seeds as treats throughout the week.

Another thing that Lucy and Jessie love is a Fruit/Veggie Kabob. For about $7 each, I picked up kabob sticks and they love those.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laura's Bird World Blog - http://laurasbirdworld.blogspot.com/
Jessie - Senegal
Lucy - Red Bellied
Kylie - Meyers
lzver
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal; 1 Red-Bellied; 1 Meyers

Postby Michael » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 am

RudysMom wrote:o and he does get fuits and veggies every day :) tonights menu was cooked beans , brown rice , sweet potatoe and squash and for dessert :) they all got blackberries and strawberries :senegal:

No wonder he doesn't eat any pellets.
Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby mandyaquawk » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:18 pm

My DYH Amazon, Gizmo, eats Golenfeast Golden Obles, and Harrisons pellets.... for about ten percent of his diet, more like an in between snack when hes not getting greens, veggies, beans, fruits, occasional nuts, and a ton of other fresh foods.....although pellets are the lesser of two evils between an all seed based diet and a pelleted diet, they really aren't as good as eating a varied diet of the other foods that I mentioned. Gizmo gets multiple fresh meals a day, and for the most part eats whatever I eat, but I am a vegetarian heath nut that makes almost all of my own meals, so its easy to have him eat what I eat. Pellets should not be fed as an everything food. You wouldn't want to live on Cheerios and that's it, right? Most pellets aren't even as good as Cheerios to begin with, and that sounds pretty boring anyway, even if they were good for you. As far as his Favorite food...He would do anything for mustard greens.... that goes to show what a good eater he is, and his feathers, skin, personality and happiness all show for it. :)
mandyaquawk
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby RudysMom » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:23 pm

I try to give them all one good meal before bed time , usually they eat their dinner around 6pm thats when they get their veggies,fruits and greens also I buy the Good Stuff Organic mix and cook that sometimes it only takes 15 to 20 minutes to cook and they love it and they get their greens, carrots , peppers and apple to go with it , I would love to feed them 2 good meals but I never have time so I do make sure they have at least one good meal and when I have to work hubby heats their food and feeds them :) of coarse I already have it made up for them :senegal:
RudysMom
Cockatiel

Postby Erithacus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:40 am

My Grey doesn't eat pellets. I have to prepare wholesome foods for her.
Kilaya ...cag
Pipi, Zizi, Eclipse and Zico ... gcc
Erithacus
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 19
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey, Green cheek conures, Lovebirds, Cockatiels and Bulbul.

Next

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet