Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Scarlet-chested parrot's head loses feathers

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Scarlet-chested parrot's head loses feathers

Postby Jorunn_ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:11 pm

My parrot looks like this. She lost some feathers on her head and one ear is showing. She is eating and flying and does not look sad, but this is worrying. It's winter and she there is very little sun so I thought maybe this could have something to do with that but I don't know... And I didn't see other parrots peck her.
I think I'll take her to the vet but I want to be sure I'm not overreacting... because it would be over 80 km trip for her (unfortunately by train) and I don't want to stress her needlessly.
(Sorry for my english)
Attachments
51786649_2237917123098618_6126533460606582784_n.jpg
51438007_286919352001005_5937318788050452480_n.jpg
51438007_286919352001005_5937318788050452480_n.jpg (64.19 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
Jorunn_
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 15
Types of Birds Owned: Green-cheeked parakeet, Scarlet-chested parrot, Monk parakeet, Red-rumped parrot, Barred parakeet, Budgerigar
Flight: Yes

Re: Scarlet-chested parrot's head loses feathers

Postby Pajarita » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:59 am

Hmmm, no, it's not lack of sunshine -if it was, 95% of captive birds would go bald and they don't. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks to be concentrated right above her beak -is this the case? Because, again, very hard to tell from the picture, but the cere appears to be compromised as well and her plumage looks faded and dull (this could be caused by bad light though). Is she a new bird you got fairly recently? Because, if she is, I would be concerned about PBFD or scaly mites... Aside from that, usually, when birds lose their head feathers there is some sort of trauma -like other birds pecking, the bird rubbing its head against the cage bars or furious scratching (but you would have seen this) - that sort of thing. Malnutrition will also cause a bird to lose feathers but this doesn't appear in just one spot, it's generalized.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 am

Can i just say that i have nothing constructive to add other than this looks a lot like my issue over on 'itchy senegal' thread
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:40 am

Yep. But, then, bald heads all look alike :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby stevesjk » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 am

The appearance of the ear hole rung a bell too.
stevesjk
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot budgie

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet