Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

egg laying question..

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

egg laying question..

Postby Molly&rio19 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:50 pm

So late last friday night my female laid an egg, then sunday she laid a soft shell egg. it was badly dented. so I gave her some calcium powder and some calcium rich powder. well i thought she was due for another egg yesterday, but there is no egg. and no egg yet today. she doesnt seem to have any signs of egg binding that i can tell. shes active on her perch, eating, drinking and pooping normally. also I meant to add that the first egg she had got broken open :( is it normal for her to not have laid any more eggs? i thought it was supposed to be 3 to 8 eggs in a clutch? she is fully mated by a male aswell and they were mating earlier this morning... i dont know wether to be expecting more eggs or if i should be worried that she hasnt laid anymore..
Molly&rio19
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: egg laying question..

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:58 pm

It's too early in the season for her to be laying so you are either feeding too much protein and/or keeping them at a human light schedule instead of a bird (solar) schedule which is terribly unhealthy for them. And, as long as she shows you signs of eggbinding, it's fine but calcium alone doesn't do it, she also needs vit D3 because, without it, all the calcium in the world won't help, it will go right through her without being absorbed into the bones (the calcium to form the eggshell comes from their bones because birds have the ability to move calcium in and out of their bones as they need it BUT given a lack of it, the body will choose to use it for the body and not the eggs). Please learn more about their reproductive system, endocrine system and avian photoperiodism because, contrary to what people believe the 'put a male and a female together and nature will take its course' doesn't work with captive birds as the conditions are so very unnatural and you do not want to lose the birds or produce weak, sickly babies.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet