Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

my sunconures wings are clipped and its diving me crazy!...

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

my sunconures wings are clipped and its diving me crazy!...

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 am

hi! skeeter was clipped when i got him i have had him since the middle of december and he is probably around 8 months old im guessing due to his feather looks so how long will it take for his feathers to grow out? i really really want him to start flying!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: my sunconures wings are clipped and its diving me crazy!...

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Take your time. There's no rush. This is just the first year. When you realize the parrot could live for many years, enjoy the clipped phase while it lasts and make the most of it. It's a great idea to let the wings grow back but while he's clipped make sure you use this time to do as much taming as possible. Practice touching, grabbing, holding, and grooming your parrot while you have more control. This way you can maintain all that when it can fly. And keep practicing the harness cause you'll definitely need that to take it outside.

Upping the nutrition can help bring the molt out sooner (if the time is close for it anyway). Depending on what you are feeding, increasing the nutrition/quantity of the food could encourage the body to begin molting. Kili's molt definitely started but she hasn't replaced many wing feathers yet. Mostly just body.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:21 pm

okay when i first got him i was happy that it was clipped because i thaught it would only take 6 months and i thought i could do all the handling and taming so i guess youre right its just frustrating because i know i would get frustrated if i could only walk and not run but yeah you really are right
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:39 pm

Do flights molt out last? I've been find tail feathers seems like every five minutes, but I have yet to encounter a molted flight feather. Well, I think I missed one, because I can see one growing in.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:56 pm

It's kind of all over the place. It seems first go body feathers, then some less critical wing feathers then head, then tail, then primaries, then secondaries. I wonder if anyone else can confirm this but that is my observation. It's all mixed as you go but the primaries don't seem to really take off until well into the molt.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet