Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Molting?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Molting?

Postby GreenWing » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 pm

I don't know much about molting. Chance is losing some larger feathers in addition to downy; do Greys molt in early spring, late winter?
We mist her with water and she has a decent diet (although I have yet to start her on gloop).
Thanks in advance.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Molting?

Postby molinash19350 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:42 am

Parrots would usually molt when their feathers are ready to come out so their really is no due date as some feathers come out at different times. this is perfectly normal. Although you should be careful when they grow their blood feathers.

:thumbsup:
molinash19350
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 11
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets

Re: Molting?

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:13 am

Weeeeell, not quite like that. They do molt when the new feathers are ready to come out but they always molt only once a year and at the same time every year. And, although there are species that have what it's called a 'nuptial molt' (right before the breeding season), the greatest majority molt once the breeding season is over. What does make the time of the year vary is the fact that there are short and long day breeders AND, in captivity, because we feed rich and abundant food all year round, they also react to the lengthening of the days and some birds have a partial molt around mid January (when the different in daylight time is 20 minutes or longer). They days are now noticeably longer and the grays season is over so she could be molting because of that (Sophie CAG had lost a couple of primaries before I left but my husband doesn't notice these things so asking him if she continued is useless :D )
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet