Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parakeet acting sick but vet said he's okay?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Parakeet acting sick but vet said he's okay?

Postby lizarosco » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:16 pm

Yet again I'm back with another sick bird :(
My male parakeet, Sky, has suddenly been sleeping much more and poofing up sitting at the bottom of his cage for about 2 days (that I've seen). He's just sleeping all day and occasionally stops to eat a tiny bit of food then sleeps again. His female mate, Kit, had been pestering him nonstop. She'd push him away if he tried to eat or drink water. Any time he just sat or tried to nap, Kit would come and pester him and constantly chase him around.
I took him to the vet but just did a simple drop off. So he was there for a few hours and then they called me back saying that clinically Sky is fine. They said he seemed alert and was perching and wasn't displaying any of the behavior I had mentioned. I told them about Kit's constant harassment and they suggested it might just be stress from that. So today i've separated them. I put Sky into the recovery cage with blankets, food, and water. All day he's been sleeping at the bottom. Kit is going crazy from her cage wanting nothing more than to be with Sky. She hasn't stopped trying to reach him all day and Sky couldn't be bothered. Also, both of the parakeets are not tame at all whatsoever. Yet as Sky is laying in his cage right now he's letting me pet his head without even flinching.
Do I just believe what the vet said about Sky being fine?
lizarosco
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets, cockatiel, sun conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Parakeet acting sick but vet said he's okay?

Postby lizarosco » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Never mind....it's been solved. He died in my arms...
lizarosco
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Parakeets, cockatiel, sun conure

Re: Parakeet acting sick but vet said he's okay?

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:11 am

You can't ever trust a vet that tell you your bird is just fine when you know it's sick because the truth of the matter is that even when they run all kinds of tests, they really do not know so anybody who tells you it's OK when, in reality, they don't know is not somebody who can be trusted. I learned this the hard way - same way you just did... And I am soooo sorry for your loss!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet