Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Need Help Feeding My New African Grey

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Need Help Feeding My New African Grey

Postby mizzy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:55 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm new to this forum so I hope I am doing this right :) I have a few questions about its nutrition
I got my 2 month old african grey a few days ago and named him toto.
The pet shop I bought my bird from gave me the seed mix he fed him, but after doing some research I found out that seeds are unhealthy and pellets are better. I wanted to ask how I can help him change from seeds to pellets without him starving or being stressed about it?
Another question I had was about feeding him fruits and vegetables. So I read they need around 1 teaspoon of fruits and 1 teaspoon of vegetables each day and I feed my bird 1 teaspoon of vegetables in the morning and 1 teaspoon of fruit in the night. Is that okay or is too much or too little? The other problem is, he only eats it from my hand and not from the bowl so I dont know what to do.
Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want my bird to be healthy :gray:
mizzy
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African grey congo
Flight: Yes

Re: Need Help Feeding My New African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am

Welcome to the forum! He eats only from your hand because he is a very young baby that should be hand-fed four times a day! Cheese on rye! I swear, these breeders and petstores only want to make money and do not care a bit about the poor animals! You need to get some handfeeding formula, a few feeding syringes and box where he can be kept in darkness as well as a heating pad to put in there - you, my dear, have an unweaned baby bird in your hands and I do hope you are at home all day long because you are going to have to feed him in his beak. You can't just put food out there for him to eat - it's like expecting a human baby of a few months to feed itself. It won't happen. And birds that go hungry when babies grow up with eating disorders so, please, do not waste a single second (he is already starving!), go to a petstore and get handfeeding formula and see if you can't find anybody who knows how to handfeed so they can show you how to do it without the baby aspirating or giving him a crop yeast infection. You should freaking sue that petstore!!!!

And no, pellets are not the best dietary option for parrots and no, a tablespoon of fruit and one of veggies is NOT going to be enough for a gray!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet