Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Did Alex eat gloop?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Did Alex eat gloop?

Postby GreenWing » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:28 am

In the NOVA episode of Alex, it looks like he is eating gloop. I haven't read Pepperberg's book, so I thought to ask if anyone knew.
GreenWing
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥
Flight: Yes

Re: Did Alex eat gloop?

Postby Pajarita » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:53 am

No, he ate Harrison's pellets and I suspect very little produce because he lived in a lab and was cared for technicians that change constantly -on purpose- so I doubt there was anybody in there that actually cared enough about him to take the time and effort to do any meaningful research on grays dietary ecology and/or prepare him a good healthy diet. He was a test subject A(vian) L(earning) EX(periment), not a beloved pet.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:24 am

Yes, Alex lived in... let's be nice and say less than stellar conditions... but, what is this he is eating? Or is this not Alex but another of her test parrots? Dr. Tyson is narrating the food is a "steady stream of fresh fruits and vegetables, all organic - of course."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO6XuVlcEO4
@6:02 mark
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:59 am

Well, you can be nice if you like but I don't feel the need to be nice when faced with animals suffering at the hands of people (did you see that poor bird? clipped and all plucked -even his tail! and the way he was trained? by constantly startling him with an object next to his eyes!). Yes, apparently, he (or another gray) is eating something made out of some type of produce but it looks more like chop than gloop but I read that he ate Harrison's. I don't like to read about or watch videos of him, it breaks my heart every time! I dislike Dr. Pepperberg rather intensely (i met her, she is NASTY!)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GreenWing » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:53 am

Yes, you are absolutely right, Alex looks depressed. The plucking is terrible. He was overworked for sure. I have read about his environment, and I think someone mentioned here that he didn't even have a window.

Also she (Pepperberg) seems cold in general. The way she locks Alex in the cage, he says love you, she says it back and just leaves. In her interviews she acts pretentious, for sure. I haven't met her like you have (I remember your story) but I believe you in saying she was nasty.

Her scientific findings were groundbreaking but predictable, as those who love and own Greys know how smart they are and that they are not parroting back words. I want to think her research is helpful as humans are... thoughtless when it comes to nature and wildlife. But so many people still don't understand parrots. I mean, Pepperberg herself couldn't prevent Alex from plucking. Perhaps only scholars and the scientific community appreciate her scientific findings.
GreenWing
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Well, she definitely did NOT help grays! Because of her everybody and his grandmother want one (and needless to say, most people who have grays cannot provide a good home for them) which, of course, triggered heavy duty poaching of them and putting them on the path to extinction - and I am not even mentioning the suffering of the poor poached birds or the ones they use as lures (they literally break their wings and sometimes glue their feet to branches so they cannot fly out but cry out in fear/dispair which makes other grays come to the poor captive bird and get trapped themselves. I blame her for a big part of this...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet