Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What's a good blend of food for a variety of birds?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

What's a good blend of food for a variety of birds?

Postby jamun99 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:14 am

In the parks near to me there are geese, ducks, storks, crows, parakeets, and a couple other types of birds I haven't identified yet. I live in a high tourism area and people dump insane amounts of bread for them to eat. Sadly it's a huge issue and the geese already have the wing deformity.

I want to combat this by putting out food that is nutritious but also yummy enough that they'll go for it over the bread. Corn is a big hit but I feel like there should be a better variety than that (*also I swear I heard the birds audibly scoff at the lettuce, so I guess that's not fancy enough for them).

Any tips for foods that are yummier than bread for birds, but also have enough nutrients for them?

Also I am guessing this deformity is permanent? Is there anything else I could do?
jamun99
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: What's a good blend of food for a variety of birds?

Postby Pajarita » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:05 am

Yes, people have good intentions when they feed them bread (usually, not even the more nutritious one made with whole grain but the white which is not good at all for them) but they don't realize they are not doing the poor things any favors by filling them up with spongy starch and nothing else! I would give them a mix of whole grains and seeds mixed with small veggies like fresh corn, peas, chopped broccoli, etc. I feed a mixed flock of wild birds (mostly pigeons but also starlings, mourning doves and lots of sparrows) that waits every morning for me to come out and I give them a wild bird mix (black oil sunflower seed, sorghum, millet and cracked corn) with the leftover gloop I feed my own birds and they not only love it, I often joke that they must be the healthiest wild birds in USA :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet