Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Egg laying problem with my Nanday

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Egg laying problem with my Nanday

Postby mooshka » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi all,
I adopted Chica, my nanday conure, a year ago from a parrot shelter. The previous owner had given her up because she had laid an egg and they took it away right away so she freaked out. She plucked herself and mutilated her legs. When I got her she was all healed and in great health.
And now a year later I seem to be in a similar situation. She has laid 7 eggs, all unfertilized. 4 that landed at the bottom of her cage she has abandonded so they have been removed. The other 3 made it into a small nest that she has made out of her toys. She has been sitting on these eggs for a week and a half now and I'm starting to get worried. Shes starting to pluck at her wing and breast feathers a little bit.
I'm giving her a calcium supliment, but otherwise I'm not sure what to do. I'm afraid to take the eggs and nest out now, knowing what happened in the past.
Any help is really appreciated. Thanks so much,
Jess
:senegal:
mooshka
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure
Flight: No

Re: Egg laying problem with my Nanday

Postby Kim S » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:04 pm

When cockatiels or budgies do this I give them the following advise. I'm not an expert on bigger parrots but maybe this could help.

If she actually sits on the eggs, dont take them away. This will only trigger her to lay more eggs and continue laying. If she does this for a long time she will exhaust herself and could die from it.
Wait for 5 weeks. Normaly the eggs hatch after 24-26 days (nandays do, budgies and tiels after 18-21). Usually the birds will understand that after the 26 days are up the eggs wont hatch anymore and abandon them.
To prevent breaking an unfertilized egg that has been kept warm for multiple weeks (can you immagine the smell?) you can swap them for fake eggs.

edit:
Just an afterthought. You said 4 of them landed on the bottom of her cage? Where were the others layd then?
Birds usually dont lay eggs if we dont give them the opportunity, like a nestbox. Be aware that birds look at anything that they can cramm themselves into as a nestbox! So a sleepingtent is a big no-no!
Kika: Senegal Parrot.
Guus: Cockatiel, Yellowcheek, cinnamon, pearl, pied.
Kim S
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal (1)
Flight: Yes

Postby mooshka » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:11 pm

Thanks for the advice. The 4 fell out of the nest but the other 3 stayed in it. I know I cant leave her a hiding hut now! I'm going to take it out as soon as shes over her eggs.
mooshka
Parakeet

Postby Kim S » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:14 pm

I understand, but what is she using as a nest?
Kim S
Amazon

Postby mooshka » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:16 pm

A purple hiding hut that hangs from the top of her cage. Big mistake!
mooshka
Parakeet

Postby Kim S » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Aye, get it. I didnt know you had a sleepingtent in it, that was just an example from me, and spot on I must say! As long as you understand what went wrong and not to do it again ;)

Try the method above. If she keeps plucking, laying more eggs or if you see her overall condition getting worse, call a vet!
Kim S
Amazon

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet