Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Vacinate or not?

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Vacinate or not?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm

pchela wrote:My caique is fine by the way. :D

I'm not picking on your decision at all, but I would like to point out that to think that since something hasn't happened yet, it's not going to happen is faulty logic.

If my horse has (I am making this up) a 1/10 change of getting Unruly Ear Disease this year unless I vaccinate, he'll presumably have the same chance next year and by the time 10 years have elapsed without protection it would be very likely he would have gotten it at some point. No real disease is that prevalent, but the probability does increase as time elapses all other factors being equal. (Of course, limiting exposure is a factor one can control).
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Vacinate or not?

Postby pchela » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:15 pm

If I understand it correctly, Polyoma is really only a risk for young chicks or birds who come into contact with other infected birds. Since my birds don't have contact with other birds, I don't worry about it too much. I don't even know if my vet offers a Polyoma vaccine. Anyway, I understand what you are saying but I just don't think in this particular case that it would be worth the stress of having the little guy vaccinated. I hope I'm not eating my words one day.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet