Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Diet suggestions

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Diet suggestions

Postby CIAD » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Currently my sun conure is eating a food call 'Fiesta Max' and I'm concerned that it might have too high of a fat content for him since I've noticed that at least half or more of the mixture is seeds. It doesn't help that he's extremely picky and I find the majority of the dried fruits, vegetables and pellet like items on the floor or at the bottom of his cage. He's also very picky about what fresh fruits and vegetables he'll eat as well. I can find anything other than peeled grapes that he's openly willing to eat (and even then he doesn't always eat them).

Is there a way I can get him to have his veggies and fruits or maybe even a better brand of food for him?
CIAD
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure
Flight: No

Re: Diet suggestions

Postby Michael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:02 pm

Yup. Slowly start to replace the old diet more and more with the new one. Some parrots just need to be hungry enough to try less favorite foods but others really are a bit of work.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Not all seeds are created equal... I am using a mix that doesn't contain sunflower seeds but does have safflower seeds along with grains, extruded bits, etc. I mix it with a pellet my bird is willing to eat some of as well. I am fortunate that my bird loves his fresh food as well.

There are a LOT of threads here on diet and changing diet... you might want to sift through and have a look.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Athena&beepbeep'smom » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:54 pm

You may want to try a mash mixture. With mash you basically use your food processor to combine various veggies, beans, and/or whole grains into a mix with a consistent texture so they can't pick out their favorites. All you have to do is find their favorite fresh fruits or veggies and include large amounts of the those in the mix to help disguise stuff they don't want. For instance mine really like peppers which taste pretty strong so if I put a couple of good sized peppers in the mix everything tastes a bit like pepper. The texture is different from other foods they're used to so there can be an adjustment period. When I first introduced mash to my WC I embedded a small amount of her favorite dried foods in it so that to get those foods she had to at least taste the mash. Then for two days straight the only food I offered her was the mash. The first day she didn't touch it. The second day she seemed to have tried some, from then on she was eating all I gave her. They just have to be tempted into trying it, and hungry enough to eat it.
Athena&beepbeep'smom
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White Capped Pionus, Pacific Parrotlet
Flight: Yes

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet