Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Why you should never buy an UNWEANED baby parrot

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Why you should never buy an UNWEANED baby parrot

Postby bmsweb » Sun May 06, 2012 6:10 am

pennyandrocky wrote:i'm glad it worked out for you, it did with my cousin too. :lol: my :gcc: gets on me when i'm on the laptop saying baby over and over,he's addicted to youtube videos of marnie :irn:

Ha ha, thanks :) My wife gets upset because she says Belle my little baby gets more kisses than her. :gcc:
bmsweb
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel, Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Postby RedDragon1288 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:09 pm

The whole point is that doing the hand-feeding yourself will greater the relationship and bond with your parrot is a fallacy. It's mainly directed to those who are inexperience at hand-feeding or starting out in the bird keeping hobby/ lifestyle that are told this unproven statement. There is no study or evidence, just the personal experiences of those who are lucky to have opportunity of raising from the egg because they know what they are doing.
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby bmsweb » Sun May 06, 2012 3:23 pm

RedDragon1288 wrote:The whole point is that doing the hand-feeding yourself will greater the relationship and bond with your parrot is a fallacy.

No two ways about it and depending on the age of the bird and the person feeding it, more harm can be done than good. I had a person who wanted her bird at 6 weeks because her dad was experienced with bringing up budgerigars! My suggestion was get a budgerigar from him lol there was no way she was getting her hand one of my little ones at 6 weeks, when they are just learning to fly! To cut a long story short she got her bird at 9 Weeks.

A few months later she tells me she was having some behavior issues with her bird and her non avian vet told her the best thing to do is clip the birds wings! So even your vet can be just as stupid as the owner! I had to bring her back to my home and show and explain to her where she went wrong and prove to her that my bird wouldn't exhibit any of those "Bad Habits". She couldn't believe Belle (My little Angel) will NEVER Bite and to this day has Never ever bitten hard enough to even come close to breaking skin let alone cause any bleeding.

In any case what I have concluded is my bird doesn't think I her mom and has no intention of wanting to fly away from me. Behavior issues, feather plucking etc are more to do with the owner of the bird and its upbringing .
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby RedDragon1288 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:03 pm

But it is a fallacy to say that hand feeding your fids is the reason why you are not dealing with much behavioral issues and your relationship is working out great. Behavior that is exhibit by anyone parrot is due to the way one given person continuously raises them. I agree that most people who do not know how to hand feed should not buy an unweaned parrot because of this wives tales. If you have experience I have no problem whether you raise them from the egg. I can say that I've been told this many times before when I was looking to adopt another parrot.

The funny thing is the same thing can be say about parrot's that are parent raise but hand tamed. Whatever one's philosophy they find that works for them is what they will choice.
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Postby bmsweb » Sun May 06, 2012 9:33 pm

RedDragon1288 wrote:But it is a fallacy to say that hand feeding your fids is the reason why you are not dealing with much behavioral issues

I agreed with this this, I don't understand. I never said hand feeding had any thing to do with behavioral issues ??
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby RedDragon1288 » Wed May 09, 2012 12:42 am

I got the impression that it's what you were stating, and I didn't intend on it being aimed at you either. I've known a lot people say this. I think our poor grammar has more to blame for this confusion. I know that I don't write well. :lol:
RedDragon1288
Cockatiel

Postby bmsweb » Wed May 09, 2012 1:58 am

That's perfectly OK, if you have a read of this thread from the beginning you will see that I stated I was keeping one of our birds as our pet and there was some discussion and curiosity in reference to her actually bonding with me or seeing me as the parent and wanting to fly away so to speak.

I'm happy to say my little baby loves me and i LOVE her back :D
bmsweb
Amazon

Postby cmaygar » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:53 am

I recognize that this post is 2 years old, but it is truly a great post that anyone who is seriously considering to purchase an unweaned parrot should read over and over again. Most bird specialty shops and breeders will agree to wean the bird for $100 - $200 extra to ensure that the baby is completely weaned and eating well before it goes to its new home.

Thank you for posting such thoughtful and well researched information that will save someone much heartache.
cmaygar
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Amazon
Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
White Bellied Caique
Cape Parrot (Grey Headed)
Flight: No

Postby Aloysius » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:41 pm

I had to feed my bird by hand for several weeks before she was weaned, and I never had any problems. She seems to be bonded to me more than my family(so far). All I had was a instruction "course" of about five minutes on how to heat up the food to a certain temperature and how to feed the bird. I think if you are instructed in how to do it, and you're capable of it, you could wean your own parrot. The bonding issue seems to depend on the bird.
:monk:Shiloh
Aloysius(Me)
Aloysius
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Quaker

Postby Michael » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:51 pm

Aloysius wrote:I had to feed my bird by hand for several weeks before she was weaned, and I never had any problems... All I had was a instruction "course" of about five minutes on how to heat up the food to a certain temperature and how to feed the bird. I think if you are instructed in how to do it, and you're capable of it, you could wean your own parrot.

Clearly you did not read the article which gives over a dozen reasons why that is a bad idea.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet