Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Talk about bird illnesses and other bird health related issues. Seeds, pellets, fruits, vegetables and more. Discuss what to feed your birds and in what quantity. Share your recipe ideas.

Re: Seriously Idiotic Parrot Owners

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:47 pm

And as much as anyone here would hate to admit it, all of our parrots are probably a direct or 2nd generation decedent of one that was probably in the same situation at some point.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby oknuma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:12 pm

Michael wrote:And as much as anyone here would hate to admit it, all of our parrots are probably a direct or 2nd generation decedent of one that was probably in the same situation at some point.

i have no doubt in my mind that batman was wild caught. I am just happy that we found her in her time of need and that I did not cave in when the heartless woman who knew she had been attacked asked for her back and instead convinced her otherwise
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby MandyG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:15 pm

oknuma wrote:Smoking is a choice you are right, not all smokers though are inconsiderate idiots.
I smoke, have done it off an on for years. yes its gross and nasty but it is a choice I had and an addiction I choose not to battle. I however smoke outside only , heck my children dont even see me smoke because its only after they are in bed or when I am at work. Are you saying though that because of that I should not have a bird?

Michael wrote:However, the parrot has no say in the matter. I believe it is unfair to a parrot to be denied fresh air because of a choice the owner makes. I think that if you love your parrot (all other people and matters aside), you should stop smoking for its sake. I understand that can be difficult but smoking is really just too harmful for the parrot. It may be pleasing to the smoker but absolutely in no way such to the parrot. I think it's just unfair to the animal. The animal cannot speak for itself so I feel the least I can do is come in its defense, nothing personal against you.

Michael, did you read Oknuma's post before replying? I'm sure we all agree here that smoking inside of a house that contains a bird is horrible for the bird, but that's not what Oknuma was saying at all. I really don't see how somebody smoking outside is harmful to their parrot. I smoke in my car on my way to work, are you going to come to Mojo's defense? He's sitting at home in his nice smoke free home while I'm smoking either in my car or outside. Please tell me how me smoking outside is denying my parrot fresh air and harmful to him. If in any way I thought that my smoking harmed him I would quit, but it doesn't as it's nowhere near him and I won't even handle him after smoking. Please explain why you believe this situation is harmful, I can't see where you're coming from.
MandyG
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 pm

I think the issue is that some of that makes its way back to the house whether its on your skin or clothes. In that dosage it's probably not enough to kill the parrot. We really couldn't tell if it harms them or not in the long term as we have no instant feedback. I suppose if absolutely none of the smoke, nicotine, etc makes its way back to the parrot that it's ok. However, just wearing the same clothes after smoking and the parrot sitting on it chewing it could be bad.

I don't know if this is fake or not but just the thought of it makes me shudder:

Michael
Macaw

Postby PRD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:33 pm

I agree that smoking shouldnt be done in house with a parrot!!
The thing is i can go to a friends house and sit there all night, or in any environment where people smoke, when i come home i also carry back smoke from other people with me. I can sometimes smell light sigarette smoke from the neighbourghs comming in with the fresh air in my house. Less then 5 miles from my house there is a large area where there are 4 oil refinary's and alot of chemical company's. I can see them flare gasses at night. If the wind is towards my house i can sometimes smell the typical oil refinary smell.... Fresh air they will most likely find in their natural habitat, city air these days aint that fresh anymore with all the toxic fumes we produce each day.
In my case, i smoke, not in the house. Should i deny every1 acces to my house if they smoked a cigarette in the past 30 minutes?
Flock off!!
PRD
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Green cheek conure
Brown throat conure
Sun conure

Postby MandyG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:36 pm

Mojo rarely chews on my clothes, and I always wash my hands after. From what I do know about the effect on nicotine and dogs (yes, I know that birds are completely different) the slight amount of nicotine that may make it's way to Mojo very likely wouldn't be harmful at all. I know for dogs nicotine is toxic, but it mostly increases heart rate and anxiety as the main side effects. Now that's speaking of solely nicotine, I'm not talking about somebody smoking in the same vehicle as a dog, that's completely different.

The possibility of smoke inhilation from something burning in the kitchen is much more likely to happen and harm him than him ever getting harmed by any slight traces of any chemicals from me smoking.

Point of the story, people that handle smoking the way I do are not idiotic parrot owners simply because there may be a slight chance that there may be some traces of chemicals that could possibly harm the parrot. IMHO.

People like the man in the picture you posted, that's not only disgusting but also cruel to that poor bird. There's a huge difference between people like me and people like that though, I take offense to being lumped into the same category as those people and I certainly take offense to being told that I absolutely should not have the choice to own a parrot because I smoke, even though it's far away from my bird.

Those are my thoughts, I don't care to dispute the matter any further. I just hate being ignorantly lumped in with people like that that disgust me so much and that are absolutely nothing like me.
MandyG
Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:20 pm

BTW, you're the one who introduced smoking to this section and not I ;)

I told you that if it can be kept 100% apart from the parrot then it doesn't harm the parrot. I said I'm not sure how well this can be in practicality so I cannot support smoking outside and then handling parrot. I do not support smoking in any shape but if it is 100% contained from the parrot and does not affect it in any way, then it isn't even relevant to the parrot discussion. If some of the smoke, nicotine, whatever, is being brought back and the parrot comes in contact with it, the harm may be small but nonetheless upsetting. That's all there is to it.

The main idiotic point about parrots/smoking is people who flat out smoke in a house with parrots. That is what would definitely land someone in this category.
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Well I can agree to the way you have put it in your last reply. Perhaps you should have been clearer earlier on rather than saying 'somebody who smokes should not have the choice to own a parrot'. That's a very broad statement and a very innacurate one.

AND btw, I introduced smoking by discussing somebody that had their bird standing next to an ashtray that was in the house, I didn't talk about people who smoke outside. That my friend, was you :P .
MandyG
Amazon

Postby Michael » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:34 pm

I don't concern myself with the in and out details of smoking, sorry. Parrots do not belong around smoking, period.
Michael
Macaw

Postby MandyG » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Ok, I did somewhat agree with you. You're simply being too closed minded though. I can't debate with somebody that has an inibility to to see things more than one way. We've gone over the details and you know that my parrot is not 'around' smoking. There is more of a chance of you getting into an accident with Kili out in the car than there is of my parrot being harmed from my smoking. I don't say that you're irrisponsible and shouldn't own a parrot for making that decision, there's no point and even though I may disagree with your decision I can see things from your side. The point of this forum is to educate and to develop intelligent discussions even if it does involve a difference of opinion, not to be rude simply because you don't agree with smoking at all regardless of whether or not it's near a bird. There's really no point in discussing this further, it's gone beyond a simple discussion and is no longer providing anything of use to this topic.
MandyG
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Health, Nutrition & Diet